TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WinchesterPower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 01:07 AM

I'm sick and tired of being useless, I'm sick and tired of doing nothing with my time, I just want to help people.

For a long time now, I've been trying to figure out how I could possibly achieve this.

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of the charity 'Random Acts' but it is a charity that aims to conquer the world, one random act of kindness at a time.

This charity is probably the single most inspiring thing i have ever laid eyes on, they have done so many, legit, random acts of kindness, all over the world!

Thus an idea has arose. I would like to complete one random act of kindness, every single day, that I am on summer vacation this year. Its a challenge but if nominee's for the 'Semi-Annual Awards for Random Acts' Everette and Merritt, two boys (One six, and the other four) can complete a small act of kindness each day for seven months, I hope I can do the same for just two.

The problem is here: I'm not very creative. This year for the 'Annual Melee of Kindness' I just collected books for my friends book drive.

So I was wondering if you guys might possibly have any ideas? Seriously, anything you can think of. Big or small, it will all make a difference.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 01:52 AM

wow, I really want to look this up, it inspired me too!
Here are some of my ideas:
Helping someone who has a lot of shopping bags
Opening the door for someone
Saying thank you
offering to do the dishes or other house chores
volunteering at a soup kitchen or animal shelter
having a clean up day at the park
volunteer to be a book buddy at the library
babysit neighbor/cousin or someone you know
give your sibling(s) and/or parent a glass of water or prepare a salad

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee Stain Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vive

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 01:59 AM

get some beads then go to a hospital and make jewlery with sick kids. i relly want to do this. i think i will you inspierd me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WinchesterPower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 02:12 AM

Thank you guys, for the ideas, I think I'm going to compile like a HUGE list of the ideas I find and receive so that I always have it there for me when I run out of ideas.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Stain View Post
get some beads then go to a hospital and make jewlery with sick kids. i relly want to do this. i think i will you inspierd me

I was just about to say that! Hospital is a great place for doing kindness, you can spend time with the children there. You can also do things like sending cards to soldiers, children in hospitals. Or make fleece blankets/quilts/crocheting or something for people who would need it. Homeless shelters, war victims, there are tons of things. I also think that since you're aware that you want to do kindness, you'll find it. It's always there, but now your mind is on the look for it. These are brainstorming ideas and planned out, but often times the kindness isn't planned out and has to be instant. Just be ready to do kindness when it's needed. Even asking someone how their day was or listening to someone who needs to vent can do so much.

also there's this website called DoSomething.org. there are tons of ideas you can find from there. Also, spreading awareness about an issue counts as kindness right

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 23rd 2013, 08:14 AM

I think this is a really wonderful idea. I've got a few ideas but some have been mentioned.
  • Rescue stray animals when you see a stray cat/dog or give that animal food/water
  • Send soldiers cards
  • Make blankets for the homeless
  • Read to the eldery
  • Visit sick children in hospitals and read to them or give them a toy from your childhood
  • Donate toys/food/clothes, anything you don't need/use
  • Send relatives letters asking how they are (that can really bring a smile)
  • Hold a door for someone
  • Help neighbors or your family carry groceries in the house
  • Do volunteer work (clean up a park, recycle, pick up trash)
  • Offer to babysit for a neighbor
  • Offer to do the dishes/vacuum/dust/tidy the house
  • Prepare breakfast/lunch/dinner for your family whenever possible
  • Bring siblings snacks or a drink
  • Post on 1 thread here a day to help someone

You've inspired me as well! I'm gonna do this too now. You're an amazing person. Keep it up!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 24th 2013, 09:58 PM

This sounds like a great idea, and I'm really glad that you've decided to take such a task on! Everyone has listed tons of great ideas; I would give some ideas but everyone took mine! Please keep us updated on this - and maybe even keep up a progress report which in turn will keep us inspired to help out too!

I wish you the best with this!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WinchesterPower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 25th 2013, 10:26 PM

Thank you so much again guys, I'm definitely planning on doing something related to this website in some way, I'm not so sure what exactly yet but something. This website has helped me so much and I've only been on here for a few days!
dosomething.org is really great. So thank you a lot for that, Gryffindor94. If its really desired I can definitely keep you all updated on this project, ill always be looking for more ideas and you guys are pretty good at supplying them, haha.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 26th 2013, 11:12 PM

I've heard of this before and I love things like this!

Some other ideas (I don't think they've been mentioned!).....
  • Buying a homeless person a warm drink and/or a sandwich
  • Saying thank you to a bus driver and smiling at him
  • Finding someone who often does things that go unappreciated and thank them (whether it's a card, letter, flowers/gift) - like someone who works for a charity or parent or friend or anyone
  • Offer to make a cup of tea for someone in the house when they aren't expecting it
  • Give some money (however much of a little amount) to charity
  • Keep an elderly neighbour company, offer to help out around the house, do some gardening for them
  • See if you can arrange to visit a nursing home - some elderly people there will have no visitors and you could really cheer them up
  • Go litter picking somewhere (be careful of glass/needles etc though)
  • If you are out with your friend and you go for lunch/a drink, offer to pay for theirs too
  • Write someone a letter saying how much you appreciate them in your life and what you like about them
  • Do the washing up at home or clean the bathroom
  • Maybe fundraise for something?
  • Smile at someone in the street
  • Compliment someone on how they look
I think this is a wonderful idea - keep thinking of ideas! Let us know what happens

Anna x

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: A Summer Of Kindness - April 26th 2013, 11:14 PM

give your seat in the subway/bus to an elderly or pregnant person (or someone else who needs it)

Closed Thread