TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Guys! Help me decide/figure out something! - May 30th 2014, 03:22 AM

I decided about a month ago that I wanted to be an actress. After years of meandering aimlessly around through my various talents - singing, writing, cooking, etc. - I finally found something that I really want to do with all of my heart.

I'd need to go to school - I've had very little acting experience, but I have done it, and I love it when I did.

I live in West Virginia, which is miles from any of the acting hubs in the U.S. I found this glorious school called AMDA. The lady speaking on the introductory video they'd put together was an amazing professor, from the looks of things. There was something so beautiful about the way she was speaking about her students, their work, her work: It made me want to go immediately.

Right now, I'm destined for a little state college in the fall where students with the lowest GPAs in the state are let in. I am not a low GPA student, nor were my ACT scores good - and there's some part of me that thinks that the school I'm going to will do nothing for my future. It's in the middle of nowhere; the acting classes are literally nonexistent; there would be no connections that I could earn from being in my school in the business I want to be in.

If I went to AMDA or one of the other acting schools I'm looking at instead - and it's not yet too late to apply - I could go directly into the field I want to be in. I could become the person I want to be. I could say: "Hey! I'm going to acting school," and completely amaze everyone who thinks I can't do it, even though I've set my mind to it. AMDA even teaches script-writing as part of their curriculum, which would help me out a ton, because I've been trying to finish one of my own invention and have very little idea what I'm doing.

It's come to this point in my life where I feel like I could take the easy way and possibly fail, or I could take the hard way and possibly fail. I could take a huge risk and fall flat on my face, but I know that I could do the same thing if I took the smallest risk. Everywhere there are these things popping up that say: "If you don't take any big risks in life, you'll never be a big success," and I believe that. I really do.

I don't want to be a schoolteacher, a lawyer, a psychologist. I don't want to sit in the office all day and be bored out of my mind. I want to put my creativity and intelligence to good use, and since I decided to try my hand at acting, my life has improved one-hundred percent. This is the only goal in my life that I've ever been absolutely sure of.

The school is $20,000 more in two years than what four years would cost at my nearest college, but... There is some part of me that really wants to try for this. That really wants to gamble everything that I have and more, and shoot for it. I could take the small risk and it could pay off, or I could take the large risk and it could pay off. And I would love it, just the trying of it.

I'd have to prepare two different dialogues for an audition. I'm terrified I'll fail them spectacularly. I've auditioned for The Voice, I sang at my high school talent show (my freshman year!), I sang a duet in a musical my high school drama class put on, I danced at a community center, I've competed in beauty pageants (a long, long time ago), but I'm terrified I'll fail. I think that if I really want to try for this, I'm going to see if the drama teacher I really respected in high school can help me prepare.

I'm staring at the page to request an audition right now. I've got enough money of my own that if I needed to, I could drive to another state to audition (again). I could ask for an audition for this fall, e-mail my drama teacher and ask her if she'll help me get in order for it, and go to yet another audition that may or may not work out.

But it just might.

Should I risk all of this, guys? What do you think?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Staff On Leave

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Guys! Help me decide/figure out something! - August 11th 2014, 05:28 AM

Hey Anna,

I think that if you are really sure that this is what you want, you should go for it! (I suggest that you should also visit the school)

If the only reason why you are hesitating is because you might fail, then I think you should just do it. There is a risk in doing anything. There is a risk in crossing the street because you might get hit by a car, but if you want to get to the other side, you have to do it. Honestly, Anna, I feel that if you do not even try for this school, I think you will regret it for the rest of your life, constantly asking yourself "What if?"

Message me if you still need to talk

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
Closed Thread