TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

If I keep a job for a year. - April 7th 2018, 08:35 PM

When I get a job and keep it for one year I plan on buying myself a brand new macbook, whichever one is the latest out. The furthest I've ever gone into a job is 7 months. I'm still trying to decide if I want a 6 month goal, and what I'd get when I reach 6 months if I choose to make a 6 month goal. What are your thoughts on a 6 month goal and if you would choose to make one, what would it be?

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: If I keep a job for a year. - April 8th 2018, 12:56 AM

I think a 6 month goal is good because it's something to look forward to and will keep you motivated to the one-year goal!

Do you have a wishlsit online for any stores? Maybe you can pick the coolest thing off these wishlists and get that?

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: If I keep a job for a year. - April 8th 2018, 02:07 AM

You could do six month and then a year because it will give you something to look forward too.

It might also help to do smaller goals during tough weeks that will help you get through the job. I know focusing on a long term goal is helpful but having smaller goals can be beneficial as well.

For example, if you get through a particularly tough week in a way that you want (be it showing up, making a particular sale, being friendly to people etc) then you can buy a small something or do something that you find rewarding.

I know a job is different but small goals have gotten me through job searching. If I was having a particularly tough week and made it to an interview I rewarded myself with a coffee or a book afterwards.

I have longer term goals for when I get a job but having short term ones help me to get through the weeks where I am struggling a bit.

As for what would work as a reward for a six month that would be up to you, I believe you like to read so maybe a subscription box trial or something like that; if it interests you. Getting a particular build a bear might work for you as well. I think only you can really decide. A lot of my rewards are bookish though. Like, I bought myself some really fun bookmarks at one point. Did a subscription box for another one and am thinking of a new Harry Potter box set or a subscription box for my two year self harm free since those are a bit more expensive and require saving.

Short term goals might not work for you but I figured I'd mention them as they have helped me cope with anxiety and other things that lead to me just disappearing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
galaxy salad

TeenHelp Addict

Re: If I keep a job for a year. - April 12th 2018, 12:07 AM

I agree that a six-month goal sounds like a good idea. Like the user above me I also reward myself for getting through difficult days or weeks, usually with something small that I wouldn't normally treat myself to (like one of the fancy expensive chocolate bars I love, or something from my online shopping wishlist - which has the added bonus of having to be shipped, so I get a nice surprise when it shows up in the mail).

As for what to get yourself, it depends on what your budget is like and what you're interested in. Is there something you've been eyeing off but haven't felt able to justify? Another thing that could be good is setting yourself a budget and then just going to the mall or your favourite shop and spending it on whatever takes your fancy at the time. Since you're planning ahead, maybe you could start doing some window shopping now so you have a shortlist by the time you reach your goal, rather than having to come up with something from scratch when you achieve it?

Regardless, I think it's good to have something to work towards, and I wish you all the best with it.

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nala. Offline
Begin Again
Average Joe

Name: Ellie

Re: If I keep a job for a year. - April 12th 2018, 01:40 AM

First off, congratulations on the job! I bet you're doing great at it so far and I'm happy for you. I like the idea of a reward for sticking with it. I agree about a 6-month goal because when you reach 6 months there will be a reward with a reminder that you are halfway there and not to give up on the goal now.

Lots of sites have wish lists. You could add things to it overtime that you'd like to have or are considering, and then decide just before that 6 months rolls around. As for me, I would get a new iPod touch or a new digital camera. I actually just reached 6 months on the job a few weeks ago and I plan on getting a camera next week.

You could also think about a mini vacation as a reward if that is something you'd be interested in. I'm not sure about the policies of time off at your job, but maybe you can build up some paid time off over the course of a year and put that to use by travelling somewhere you have wanted to visit for awhile.

I wish you the best of luck with your job!

TH member since 2012.
John 3:16

Closed Thread