TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Pass my test! - August 27th 2018, 11:14 PM

Earlier in the year (maybe a year ago actually!) I started learning to drive. I was doing manual lessons with a really patient teacher, and I passed my theory, but my anxiety around driving and cars was making it really hard to make any progress. I was in an accident when I was about 9 and although nobody was hurt beyond sprains and a few bruises, we were all really lucky because the car ended up on its roof. So I'm really nervous as a passenger, and having to focus on gear changes and clutch control as well as focusing on the roads and panicking any time a car was anywhere near me, was hard.

So I've decided I'm going to go auto. I sent an e-mail to a driving school and I'm going to try and pass by the end of the year.

Has anybody else had similar problems, and what would you recommend so that I can try and stick to my goal?
Does anyone else not get on with manual but has found more luck with auto?

I'd love some advice and encouragement to help me get past my demons!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Pass my test! - August 28th 2018, 09:53 AM

Dear Hollie,
congratulations on passing your theory test - that's half a success!

Driving might appear tricky at first - not only are all those functions and actions to remember at the same time, but there's also traffic and other road users. I imagine it was difficult to take part in driving lessons after that accident you described, so I'm glad that you had decided to drive anyways
As for auto, it all depends on you honestly. Why I prefer manual is that when I know how to handle it, I can handle auto as well, while it's harder the other way round. It happens to be useful when you need to drive someone else's car, for example. However, I've known a few people - a bit more experienced drivers - who normally drove auto and it didn't prove too difficult for them to switch to manual for some time.
At the same time, I believe that if something's not working, it's good to change it - or at least try. No harm in trying Therefore if you can see manual might not be for you, try to drive auto and decide then.

Good luck with driving Hollie and have a nice day. Keep us updated
Sue

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Pass my test! - August 29th 2018, 06:56 AM

Hey,
I haven't had this problem since I never plan on driving a stick. But I will say I understand where you are coming from. I know for me there is no way I could concentrate enough to learn to drive stick with everything you have to do. Heck for the first couple of months I would forget which was the gas and which was the brake...I had to color code them on my car.

I will also say I got my license at 25 and it was really hard. I had had a permit 3 or 4 times before getting my last one the my license. I was so nervous and anxious I just didn't feel the need to drive. But once I got the hang of it I was comfortable and enjoyed it. Now I love it so much.

And for meeting your goal I would say try and set small goals. I honestly don't know the rules about this in London or anything. But for me I would try and practice driving a couple times a week plus the driving I did with a driving teacher. So maybe tell yourself you will drive 30 minutes twice a week outside of the driving school, and plan it so you have someone to go with you(I know that is required here in the U.S. not sure for you). Then increase it as you feel more comfortable, also if you don't feel ready and like you will pass at the end of the year don't beat yourself up. It's a learning curve and since you were in an accident and traumatized by it I want to say please don't push yourself to much if you aren't ready.

I hope this has helped.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread