TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - November 27th 2019, 08:31 PM

My therapist wants me to set goals and a timeline for getting my license and I’m not sure where to start.
The permit isn’t the issue. I have one but it expires in June. If it expires again I’ll just take the test again so that’s not the issue.

The road stuff is the issue. I have a lot of anxiety which causes me to avoid driving and also fail the license test even though I do fine when I’m practicing. So I’m avoiding setting goals aha. I haven’t driven in over a year.
That and my dad and I argue a lot when I practice and he’s gotten really grumpy lately and my mom won’t teach me. My sister has mandatory work overtime until after Christmas so she’s always busy. It costs about $60 per hour session at a driving school and most have a minimum of two sessions. I don’t have a lot of disposable money.

So how do you guys think I should go about setting a timeline and goals for driving and getting my license?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - April 26th 2020, 09:52 AM

Hi Dez,

I just realised that no-one replied to your thread and I apologise for not replying sooner. How are you with your license at the moment?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - April 26th 2020, 09:02 PM

I still don’t have my license

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - April 26th 2020, 09:13 PM

Hey Dez,

I am not sure if any of what I will say is going to help but I wanted to share a few things.

So, I have a lot of anxiety about driving. I was forced into getting my license at 17 because I got a job and my dad told me he couldn't keep coming to pick me up during his 15 minute break because he was late. I drove out of necessity because public transport made me more anxious than driving.

I have always had this anxiety about driving until I started my new job. 85% of my job requires me to drive. The more exposure I got to driving the more comfortable I have gotten. I've actually found that my anxiety over driving has increased again because of not doing it.

It might help to set a goal of driving more. I know you are having difficulty with finding people who will take you out but maybe if you can work on that you will be able to work towards setting a timeline.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - April 27th 2020, 02:30 AM

Very true! I was supposed to go out with my sister yesterday but I had to help my mom with grocery shopping first and that took too long so she couldn't anymore. Maybe next week.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - April 28th 2020, 06:15 AM

Hi Dez,

I understand how nervous and anxious you may get. I felt like that when I start learning to drive and I still do sometimes (mainly due to how people are on the roads). Driving can be scary. The only way I managed to overcome my nervousness and anxiety is practicing as much as I could and I know it maybe different for you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - May 3rd 2020, 03:43 AM

If anyone has tips on how to park that would be cool

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Setting a timeline and goals for getting my license. - May 3rd 2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
If anyone has tips on how to park that would be cool
Silly question but what kind of parking? Reverse parking or nose to wall parking?