TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 17,946, Level: 19 Points: 17,946, Level: 19 Points: 17,946, Level: 19

Red face Goal: Write a Novel - June 3rd 2009, 04:30 AM

I'd really like to publish a book some time before I get out of high school. But my problem with that is that as much as I like writing I tend to get easily bored with it. Sometimes when I sit down to type it up I lose interest just all of a sudden.

And sometimes I feel like my ideas and stories don't have a good enough climax or plot. In fact most of my stories just sort of seem to...Idk hold more of a theme, more so than a plot. It's more like the story starts, it has a few exciting bumps in some places, and then the story ends with the problem solved.

But I'd really like to get something published. I'm also worried that a lot of my ideas aren't very original. I mean, sure they're in my own words and stuff, but the general ideas might have already been used.

I guess what I'm saying is that I could really use some suggestion or reassurance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 3rd 2009, 06:11 AM

Hey Mariah, I'm in the process of writing a novel too.
Here are some things that are helping me, and might help you:
-Carry a little notebook around with you everywhere, and jot ideas down in it as they come.
-Pay attention to detail in real life (How the wind makes the trees sway, or how your best friend smiles, etc.) and then apply it to your story.
-Draw inspiration from other artists. (Listen to a CD, read a book, study a painting, watch a movie, etc.)
-Think about things in different ways. (Look at objects from new angles, close your eyes and imagine what the world would be like if cupcakes came to life and sang and danced in the streets, just don't think how you normally would.)
-Live. Life experience is one of the most important writing tools you can have.

Don't worry about being original or unoriginal. Just be you and worry about the editing later. Best of luck! I hope I helped a little bit.

Happy 16th, by the way!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Points: 20,540, Level: 20 Points: 20,540, Level: 20 Points: 20,540, Level: 20

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 3rd 2009, 02:55 PM

I do agree with the above especially about carrying a notebook around. If you get easily bored why not try writing like a chapter a night? So then you won't lose interest as quick.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 3rd 2009, 03:21 PM

Most stories follow the same plot line so you shouldn't worry about the ideas possibly already being used as long as you have different characters etc. I mean look at all the chick flicks out there that have the same plot, boy meets girl, something happens between boy and girl (usually the boys fault) the boy tries to fix it buy doing some grand gesture and they live happily ever after.

I get what you're saying about losing interest, I like writing too and I'll have the plot in my head but I can't really make it flow together and I struggle finding good words to use. I find it helpful if I start writing a story then write the plot on the back of one of the pages or type it up and then I leave it for a few months before coming back to it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 3rd 2009, 05:03 PM

I pretty much agree with what everyone has already said,
Although I'm not really one to ask about writing books, as I'm a terrible writer who likes to repeat herself and use quotes by other people more than I ever say anything original!
However after a brief google search I found this link which seems to be quite useful.
Just stick to it and keep writing down everything you can think off, I'm sure you will achieve your goal through hard work, but I find that the harder you work the better the end result feels.
Good Luck!

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
o0lostlove0o Offline
Trapped in a Fairy Tale.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lee - Suh.

Points: 10,185, Level: 14 Points: 10,185, Level: 14 Points: 10,185, Level: 14

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 6th 2009, 09:02 AM

Wow, everyone already took my answers.

But, I do agree. I feel like that a lot, too. I think, the biggest thing is determination. Think aloud. It does help, especially when you're lost in what you were going to put down. For me, whenever I think aloud [ or type everything that goes through my mind -- no matter how idiotic it would sound -- on the computer (WordPad, NotePad, Microsoft Word, etc) ] I get out more ideas and twists than I expected. I think focusing and having a certain level of determination and inspiration helps a lot.

Oh, and good luck with it! I know a lot of people here, as it seems, want to be published, as do I. So, good luck!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
<3
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 17,946, Level: 19 Points: 17,946, Level: 19 Points: 17,946, Level: 19

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 8th 2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks you guys, these are really good ideas! I really do need to start carrying around a notepad. I always try to remember things. Except for quotes. I write those down if there's paper near.

I take walks while listening to music for inspiration. It really does work well. It's also pretty relaxing. ^_^ Of course I sort of need to listen to a song that matches the mood of the story. xd listening to metal while thinking of a romance doesn't work for me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
erika-snowden Offline
NOOB =]
Not a n00b

Name: erika

Points: 10,433, Level: 14 Points: 10,433, Level: 14 Points: 10,433, Level: 14

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 14th 2009, 08:29 PM

Hey I'm the same really In November there's this thing called National Novel Writing Month where you have a goal to write 50,000 words in a month... sounds impossible but I managed this year it's hard to explain you'll have to check out the website look it up on google i think there are some at other times of year too

Love Longer.
Laugh Louder.
Hug Harder.
Smile Bigger.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Points: 10,604, Level: 15 Points: 10,604, Level: 15 Points: 10,604, Level: 15

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 14th 2009, 09:06 PM

Hi Mariah :] Have you considered taking classes to further your English knowledge such as Composition 1/2? I can say that English is my favorite subject and I still learned sooo much about literature/modes of discourse through Composition 1 at my local community college.

Live and let live.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
saraherself Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sara

Points: 9,557, Level: 14 Points: 9,557, Level: 14 Points: 9,557, Level: 14

Re: Goal: Write a Novel - June 17th 2009, 12:18 AM

I have a similar goal, and I know exactly where you are coming from.

Most of my suggestions are taken, haha, but just keep you're head up! Most writers have these troubles.

Do take English classes, and any writing classes that are offered to you. Carry a pen and paper all the time. Keep a thesaurus handy. Drafts are your friend. Write ideas down then place them in the right part of your story later. Practice posting stories on writing web sites/forums.

Between You & I
Closed Thread