TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shadow90 Offline
Not a n00b

Question Mental Therapist - December 30th 2009, 05:43 PM

Hello all. I recently decided that I want to help people, primarly younger kids between middle school and college, who have depression. The problem is, I've heard people say that they hated going to shrinks. I want to be different. I dont just want to listen and act unintrested. I want to be someone who can talk with someone about problems, and guide them in the right direction. So, does anyone have any tips that can help me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Mental Therapist - December 30th 2009, 07:26 PM

have you got plans to study psychology or something similar? i'm guessing that would be a good place to start. i think it's great that you want to follow this career path.. there are far too many therapists out there who aren't in it for the right reasons unfortunately.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Mental Therapist - December 30th 2009, 07:41 PM

Wow, I wish you could help me :P

I agree with Elle - studying psychology would be an excellent place to start, if you haven't already. I study it at college, and my teacher was telling us that if we want a career in psychology (all the different types of psychology - criminal, clinical, counseling etc), it would be good to take it further at university and working from there.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shadow90 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Mental Therapist - December 31st 2009, 03:38 AM

Well right now I am working towards my degree for pyschology. I just wonder what people look for in counseler/therapist. Like I said, I dont want to just sit and listen. I want to talk about the problems and help make things better. I realize people dont always want this help. But I want to be the best I can be.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
one_more_reason Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brook

Re: Mental Therapist - January 5th 2010, 03:17 AM

I would love to hear responses to this question too! I'm in college right now, a psych/studio art double major, and I originally got interested in psychology because when I was in high school I noticed a lot of people I knew were incredibly depressed and were completely lost on how to get help or feel better. this lead to me noticing that most of the people my age that I knew HATED going to therapists... and I thought it was really sad how most therapists are thought to be uncaring and boring. I think that in psychology these days people are too quick to just slap a name on a person "oh, you have depression!" and give them drugs and that's that.

ideally, when I'm older, I would like to work in some kind of clinic that gives alternate options to people BESIDES drugs to feel better. I mean, there must be natural things to help people cope or express themselves or whatever. in high school for me, it was music. right now I'm hoping to be an art therapist... and I'm looking forward to where I end up.

anyway, sorry that was so long! I'd love to hear other people's opinions on what they would look for in a therapist.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Mental Therapist - January 5th 2010, 03:36 AM

I would imagine liking a therapist who responded frequently, asked questions, and had a plan for the therapy session if needed. I would want someone attentive and never forgetful. Someone who answers all my questions, but doesn't require me to answer theirs. Someone who takes me seriously, but likes a laugh or two. Won't be awkward. Provide information even when there isn't a clear sign that the information is needed. As in, if someone doesn't mention cutting, but might suspect it... GIVE ALTERNATIVES. I would want someone who was willing to do the most wild things. Willing to stand up and get out of the room. Scream and yell. Draw or write. I want someone who asks the questions that are hard. Who brings a CD player and a computer with internet access JUST in case. I want someone who smiles when appropriate. I want someone who explains the confidentiality rules at the beginning of each and every session. I want the therapist to respect my wishes and to never assume too much. I want the therapist to be comfortable.. I want the therapist to be aware, and take notes when appropriate. I want the therapist to be smart and come prepared.

I think that's all I've got for now.

Closed Thread