TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Always waiting for PERMISSION [I need your help] - February 14th 2010, 11:43 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super fine day.

Truth be told - I am a loser. No use arguing that fact. It's the truth. And the reason I'm a loser is because I am ALWAYS WAITING for PERMISSION. I am 46 years old and I'm STILL trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. But every time I think of something - anything at all - a little voice inside of me says, "Well.... you better not do THAT! Someone might not approve." This has been going on ever since I was a kid. I've been keeping my dreams locked away somewhere because it hurts every time I even think of them. I tell myself, "What's the use. I'll never accomplish anything. I'll never do it 'right' and I'll never succeed - no matter how hard I try. So why bother doing anything when the outcome will serve no purpose other than to reaffirm the 'FACT' that I am not 'good enough' or 'smart enough' or whatever." Now if that sounds depressing - you're right. It is. So much so - that the idea of just giving up and ending it all is slowly but surely becoming more and more appealing.

I grew up in a very dysfunctional home. I learned very quickly that the only way NOT to be HURT - was NOT to be SEEN. So I lived most of my childhood in the shadows. [And most of my adult life too] People don't hurt people they can't SEE - right? Well... that's what I came to believe. And it's true - for the most part. Well.. except that by hiding in the shadows - I ended up hurting myself. [Because I betrayed the person I was] But sadly - anytime I did dare to share some of my dreams with people in my family - those dreams were immediately stomped on. "Well that's really stupid. Why would anyone want to do THAT!" And so on.

Trouble is - I'm STILL living in the shadows. I'm afraid - no - make that TERRIFIED - of doing what I want to do with MY LIFE.

This is a long message - I know. But what I need to know is if any of YOU can relate to what I am saying. But more than that - if any of you somehow managed to STOP WAITING and just did what you wanted to do with YOUR life. I know that many of you are just beginning to get out on your own - but maybe some of you can help me by giving ME some advice.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Always waiting for PERMISSION [I need your help] - February 14th 2010, 05:07 PM

Hey Craig. Well, being 32 yrs younger than you I don't think I can offer too much advice, but, I want to tell you something.

You have NO IDEA how helpful your posts here are. You are making a difference in the lives of more than 10,000 people from the comfort of your own home. W

ho is there to 'not approve'? It's your life. You're 46, Craig! It's not like you have parents who still have a legal obligation to raise you...(or is it different in canada?) lol.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread