TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Goals and Ambitions (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/)
-   -   goal:my novel (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/t48904-goal-my-novel/)

Twinge July 7th 2010 07:55 PM

goal:my novel

well the title seems pretty comforting but i am really NERVOUS while writing this thing for the 1st time. i have never shared a thing like this with no one online. maybe cause i am low self esteemed about the whole writing thing. i need some opinions,thats why i decided to share. i picked this forum since this is an actual goal.

i mentioned on my profile that i write,and thats like for 4 years straight writing on notebooks. when i came alone in the end of 5th grade, i had these thoughts,dreams...they came on constantly and i started putting it all on paper. so,its not a novel yet,those are like...conversations that i see in my head,and are creative overall.

this year, i finished the 3rd part of it,started 4th part. i was thinking of editing it all together in art, into an actual novel,something that people would read. and i came on reading my work since i forget easily,its not really what i expected,it looks kinda...plain. not like what i imagined. but also,the story isn't bad. i just had REALLY bad self esteem while i write. i just cannot stop thinking "would people read my junk/this and that?"
by editing i mean...making it all look better. i don't know why i am so scared of what people think.should i try describing of whats it about or something? :nosweat: i know its original,all my idea. i get inspired by the people i watched and the ones i knew.

so what do you think? should i try editing it in one piece and try to publish if i like it? i think i know how to...i would love to do that(not cause of the money). my work is fiction in non-fiction. it has 3 or 4 different genres in it,plus its real life,what teens would like to read. i read enough of books,and my English isn't poor,i think. i wish i could just be high self esteemed and relaxed about it,then it would be perfect for myself.

ok,done. sorry its a bit long. :( people? any opinions?

Allons-y! July 8th 2010 02:47 AM

Re: goal:my novel

Hey =] I think it is so, so awesome that you want to write.

Thing is, you've got to do it for yourself. If you're worrying about what other people will think, will they like it, etc, it's not truly YOUR creation. Write what you love. Write a book YOU'D love to read. There will be others who want to read it, too, but don't worry about them yet. Just write.

Twinge July 8th 2010 10:08 AM

yeah i keep telling myself that. i do write and i do want to it write again,even better. :D

thank you so much.

Kitty. July 13th 2010 05:38 AM

Hey! :) Write what you enjoy! :) Don't worry about what others think!

Dedalus July 21st 2010 06:01 PM

I write quite abit and have wona few things when I was younger. I know what you mean about the personal stuff....it feels like you're exposing yourself. I am about 40,000 words into my novel at the moment and I'm afraid to let someone else in my life see it...however the internet has beena great source of encouragement.

If your novel is over 10,000 words I suggest you put it on authonomy for feedback from other writers. Its good stuff you get there.

The main thing to improve your writing is to read avidly and to read widely. And not things like Stephanie Meyer or Jodie Picoult, but well seasoned writers who's grammar and syntax is perfect, names like de Quincey, Robert Graves, Hunter S. Thompson, Marquez, Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Yeats, &c., &c.

Finally if you post an excerpt here I'll read it and give you my opinion.