TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Getting things back on track - December 30th 2010, 08:21 PM

It's fair to say 2010 wasn't a great year for me in a number of areas. A year which starts with a long-term relationship ending without any real explanation (and by text message) is never going to be a great one, to be fair, but this one was - bar the odd exception - a real stinker. First three months practically unemployed, job interviews and applications coming to nothing, attempts to further my long-term career plans in law ultimately coming to nothing as well, and all the while I effectively retreated into my own little world of staying at home and commuting to the job I eventually got, with very little inbetween. Feelings of isolation and depression naturally followed, and while things have generally gone well with the job and I've started to shed some of my confidence hang-ups the personal life is still mostly a mess.

Well, I've finally decided I've had enough of this. I've had an epiphany of sorts over the last day or so (ironic given the time of year but hey) and realised most of these problems are self-inflicted. I've dropped out of contact with people because it's been easier to shy away and not talk about how I feel or how things are going. I've stopped going to the gym because it's easier not to go and face up to the fact I've let my fitness get much worse than it was. And I've busied myself in work so much (to the point it was properly stressing me out) because it helps me avoid everything else. As usual, I'm my own worst enemy and as usual it's left me much worse than I would have been. It says it all that one of my friends is working just down the road from where I live and yet I haven't spoken to them in months. That isn't right.

So from now on, I'm pulling myself out of this "hiding away" mindset and getting my life back on the track it should be on. I'm going to make more of an effort to talk to people, make time for things rather than making excuses, and try and get the balance back and repair some of the harm done. How I've carried myself the last few months is not making me happy and it's not the way I want to be going forward - it's something I've let drift too long as it is. I know I'm not the most outgoing of people, but frankly I might as well have been a hermit these last few months... It may mean I open myself up to the possibility of being hurt more than I have to date, but so what? That's life. I've shied away from too many things just because of this break-up, and it's not right. From here on, I'm going to make much more of an effort to get over this.

Wish me luck guys - I might well need it.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Getting things back on track - December 30th 2010, 11:52 PM

Best of luck with your goal! I really like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
It may mean I open myself up to the possibility of being hurt more than I have to date, but so what?
Well, hey, you don't know until you try, right? A lot of good things could come of this too!

Best of luck! I really hope this goes well for you, and remember, we're all here if you need some additional support!

Closed Thread