TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 18th 2011, 04:48 AM

I don't know how with like, 100 million other teenagers wanting to be the same thing, but I must. :\
Barely anyone has read my writing, and I don't know if I should put it out. I don't know if I can make it.
Agh! I'm doubting myself again.
But, I'm going to make it.
I'm really scared about it, because of the copyright and being unable to share it online and stuff, but I've only posted 4 pages of my novel (that's all I have...?)
Oof, I don't even know if I'm a good writer.

But I will make it. Through freelance perhaps, but I will publish my novel?

(Psst! Do you want to read what I have so far? I want your true and honest opinion!)

I'll make it through.
I have to stop gaming to accomplish this.
I'll get through that too.

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 18th 2011, 05:13 AM

If you work hard at your writing, you can become a proffesional writer. Good luck!

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 18th 2011, 06:19 AM

Maybe I can; but I don't work hard. I don't.
I get lost in something, and give up.
I can't do it. :O

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 18th 2011, 07:52 PM

Never lose faith in yourself. You're 13 years old, you have a long time before you need to start heavy-duty worrying about your career. Stop fretting and simply focus on improving your writing skill. However, that doesn't mean you need to suddenly forfeit your life and spend every second of free time you have working on improving your skill. You don't have to give up gaming forever to accomplish this; I spend a large chunk of my free time gaming and my future really has nothing to do with it! So, take it easy, and practice when you can. Don't stress too much about it.

Also, I'd be very interested to read what you have so far.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 19th 2011, 04:18 AM

You CAN do it.

If you're going to keep telling yourself that you can't do it, you'll find it harder and harder to do. Think positively! And your world will become easier, I promise. Like Alice said, you're only 13 -- you have a lifetime ahead of you to work on your writing! Please don't give up. Follow your dreams.

And hey, I'd love to have a read at what you've written! I'm an amateur writer as well, I write mainly for the fun of it and you can see some of my stuff here on TeenHelp. So we'll swap!

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 19th 2011, 05:52 AM

You don't necessarily have to stop altogether with the gaming. If the game's you play have a good narrative, dialogue or plot then they could be great for ideas.
Remember games are also developing as an art form, they aren't just meaningless time sinks. Some games like the Mass Effect series, while maybe not being every one's cup of tea, have undoubtedly the best script I have seen (in game).
Having said this keep a healthy balance
Keep in mind that writing isn't usually a quick process, it can come to you in bits and pieces.
Don't give up on it

The better part of valour is discretion - Shakespeare

We are punished by our sins, not for them - Elbert Hubbard

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 21st 2011, 03:39 PM

Hey Radhika,

You're only 13 years old, which means you have plenty of time to hone your skill in writing. If you can, try to attend writing workshops if they're offered in your school/community so you can get practice and get tips from more seasoned writers. And of course, continue writing about the things that interest you and try to find a style/identity that you feel comfortable with.

If this is something you are really serious about, you owe it to yourself to try as hard you can. There may not be immediate, visible rewards when you start, and it probably will take a lot of work. When the rewards do come, there will be a good feeling to your accomplishments. Even after the work, if writing doesn't turn out to be your thing, you can say that you tried and put in a good effort. You'll be more sure of yourself in terms of thinking about future careers. Again, you're only 13 so there's no big pressure.

Career or not though, if you find writing fun, work hard at it, and the reward will be in your enjoyment of writing.

p.s. I would like to read your writing if you don't mind sharing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I'm going to become a professional writer. - January 23rd 2011, 03:53 AM

Hey man. I'm a writer too--but I thought I'd share my views on 'professional' writing. To me, professional means NOTHING. seriously!! As long as you FEEL successful, that's all that matters. Professional could mean published by an actual publisher, or self publishing. Maybe you could become well-known, or maybe you could be a local treasure. All I'm saying is, don't limit yourself with traditional ideals of what it means to be professional. Oh, and I'd be glad to read your writing and offer some constructive criticism. I warn you though, I can be brutally honest.

Closed Thread