TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kristin

Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:17 AM

I've always wanted to be able to sing. I've had dreams of having a band, and admittedly I know it'll never happen, but I've at least comforted myself by taking vocal lessons to try to improve my voice. I'm a month through lessons and I've already noticed a bit of an improvement, but I know I have a long way to go.

So I was just wondering if there are any other singers out there. Did you go through vocal coaching and train, or do you have a "natural gift" for it? Any advice that you want to pass on? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dendroaspis Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:30 AM

ehhh. You could say im a singer lol . Vocalist would be a better word for what i usually do though haha. I hope your lessons go good. I was going to take some but ended up spending my money on something else.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:33 AM

Thank you!! My lessons cost 50 dollars for an hour a week, but I'm only doing it for the summer. I'm trying to join my college's choral group for my minor in music performance. (I'm a song interpreter, but I also have to be able to sing for the minor!)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:40 AM

I'm a singer, actually. Not professional, but I hope to be someday.

I really don't know how I came about it. I've just sang since I was very little. If I'm not mistaken, my uncle used to give me quarters when I was little to sing 'You Are My Sunshine'. I dunno, lol.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dendroaspis Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofsecrets View Post
Thank you!! My lessons cost 50 dollars for an hour a week, but I'm only doing it for the summer. I'm trying to join my college's choral group for my minor in music performance. (I'm a song interpreter, but I also have to be able to sing for the minor!)
My lessons were gonna be $10 / hour. as many times a week as i wanted. Awesome, i am thinking about doing a music related minor / major in college.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:50 AM

Ive been in performance choirs since I was three. But I have also learned a great deal from my vocal instructors! I would say try and join the choral group, it's such a great way to learn and make new friends!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/30/13

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

Last edited by Bubbly751; July 24th 2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Needed color!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pug Princess Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 04:59 AM

I'm going into my 6th year of being in choir and it has helped me loads. I've been told and I can tell that I've greatly improved. Even though its not a one-on-one practice, my teacher taught us a lot about how to control our voice and sound better. And all that practice sure did help!

~~~
HelpLINK Mentor & Project Advisor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
bipolar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leah

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 01:56 PM

im a singer! not like a pro or anything... never even took lessons. but my dad has this thing set up on his computer so i can put the music in, add my voice, and i make cover cd's all the time. i sing in front of like... friends and family, and eery year at christmas i go caroling and my and my friend sing while everyone else lipsings... (:

had a dream, i was king. woke up, still king(: - eminem

you put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray. i stood there loving you and wished them all away. and you come away with a great little story of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you- taylor swift

i dont know what i want, so don't ask me- taylor swift.

maybe there's beauty in goodbye. theres just no reasons left to try. you push me away. another black day. let's count up the reasons to cry.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Any singers out there? - July 24th 2011, 02:12 PM

I have some natural talent but I also do take lessons because I want to improve on what I already have. My best advice is just practice practice practice. I sing all the time haha.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Online
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 07:19 AM

The talent I have is natural, I know it could be better with lessons but I can't and never will be able t afford any anytime soon.

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 01:48 PM

I guess I'm a singer lol. I've been in choir going on 4 years and it's helped tremendously. It's boosted my confidence and helped to mature my voice. But other than that I've got a bit of natural talent.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
3 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 06:03 PM

I attended a vocals course at a performing arts college. Sang in front of some local famous people, recorded a CD, that kinda thing. I guess its more natural, haven't had many lessons.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 06:18 PM

I sing and it's natural but I did involve myself in things that would keep my vocal chords warm. I took a singing class at my song and dance studio for a long time but it didn't really do anything for me except give me time to sing (because you have to keep singing or your voice can go downhill, haha) and then I got involved in choir. The time in choir I was also getting older so my voice naturally matured and grew stronger. [:

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 07:37 PM

I sing, I attend and perform at gigs. I don't do it for money, I do it for fun as it's a hobby of mine. I have been singing since I was 4 years old, and I am going to be singing at a talent show in a few weeks.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Any singers out there? - July 25th 2011, 09:35 PM

Been singing on and off since I was around 3 or 4 I think, but I had lessons between the ages of 9 and 16 and was in choirs from around 5 until I was 18. Having sung both with and without lessons or training, I can safely say that if you can get some lessons or sing with a choir it will make a noticeable difference to how well you can use your voice - after 5 years without either, my singing voice is definitely best described as "rusty". That said, some people can keep their voice strong and develop it without needing lessons or structured sessions so see what works best for you.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .

(#16 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Any singers out there? - July 29th 2011, 05:02 AM

Thanks for all of your advice/personal stories!! I'm definitely going to try to join a choral group and keep singing. I've only really been singing for about a month and I'm frustrated that my voice isn't where I want it to be yet. I definitely need to learn some patience!! haha

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Any singers out there? - July 29th 2011, 05:08 AM

I love to sing, been singing since i was 10 i even auditioned for the X Factor, completley ballsed it up due to nerves but i couldn't care less. Follow your goals, join choir/glee groups. I even found going on Youtube helped!

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#18 (permalink)) Old
vagab0nd Offline
VI.XI.MMXIII
I've been here a while

Name: Summer.

Re: Any singers out there? - July 29th 2011, 06:08 AM

I've never been to lessons, had no training, and it just comes naturally. I wouldn't say it's a 'gift' or a talent though lol. I did learn to do screamo on my own though. Most people wouldn't call that singing, but I learned how to do it on my own(:.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: Any singers out there? - July 29th 2011, 01:36 PM

yeah! I'm 80% singer and 20% tumbler... haha it doesn't mean im any worse or better or i like one better, I'm just more of a singer than a gymnast.

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Delivery Offline
Fuck the haters!
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Any singers out there? - July 30th 2011, 07:38 AM

I rap, but I've been thinking about learning how to sing to help improve my rapping (e.g. developing better cadences, breathe control, etc.)

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Chat Mentor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Any singers out there? - July 31st 2011, 09:31 PM

I do some singing but not professionally of any kind, just for fun

I did have singing lessons on and off for about a year a couple of years ago and I thought they went well so I'm hoping your's are going wonderfully too

Also, don't give up your dream just yet. If you want to be in a band it could happen. Keep an eye out for advertisements of bands looking for a singer (they usually have these in music shops) and go to some auditions if you find any

Not everyone makes it in the music biz but some do and you might be one of those people so I'd say just go for it but don't forget to have a back up plan in case you change your mind.

Take care!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
We create the harmony.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Re: Any singers out there? - August 5th 2011, 11:53 PM

I'm a choral singer, so yes, I am a singer. =P I've gotten much better since I started, but I guess I don't know if I sucked or not when I started because I was eight. And pretty much everyone sucks when they're eight. =P But since I was ten or eleven I've noticed huge advances, you get better as you practice more. Vocal lessons are a wonderful way to start out if you wish to be a soloist or choir singer, in the end you will always, always, ALWAYS get paid off for hard work. Even those who have a natural gift(I have met quite a few, I've been singing in church, school, and/or professional choirs since for going on seven years) in vocal music still benefit from extra-training.

If you want to be in a band I'd suggest looking for advertisements. If where you take lessons is like mine then there should be a board with bands who need a singer, guitarist, pianist, ect. ect. If there isn't where you take lessons you should check in the music area of your college, I can almost guarantee you'll find something there. If you don't find what you're looking for there, check music stores, is there a Music-Go-Round near you(that is a used guitar shop around where I live) or perhaps any other interment store? And if all else fails you can put out your own advertisements for bands looking for a vocalist. Just make a sign stating what you do, put an email address or number, you'll be surprised who might contact you.

Good luck! =)

life is too short to not be musical

(#23 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Any singers out there? - August 6th 2011, 04:33 AM

I was (and still am) a horrible singer, but I had to do a lot of singing tests in my first year of university so I took lessons and practiced like crazy. Before, I sounded like a cat that someone had kicked. At least now I can sing on key and well enough to harmonize in my band!

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

Closed Thread