TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bite Me Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tara

Cool Non-Profit Organization - February 16th 2012, 06:12 PM

Imagine a program that helps teens and and adults make their dreams a reality. Maybe they don't have the money to make their dream come true, it will be provided. Maybe they don't know what they want to do, consultants are available. Or maybe, they need help and guidance to transform their life into a life they've always wanted.

I'm hoping to start a non-profit organization that does exactly that. I don't know how it's going to go down, but all I know is it's going to happen. I'm still working on the name of the organization, the slogan, and basic set up. It's a lot of work but that's what it takes to make someone's dreams come true. Any suggestions would be greatly received, and encouragement wanted!

Thanks!

Tara Schultz

“The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.”

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!!!!!!

HOOAH!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Non-Profit Organization - February 16th 2012, 09:13 PM

Well it sounds like a wonderful idea (:
I think supplying financial aid is perhaps ambitious but I could certainly see you helping them source the money from legitimate sources like loans/grants/investors etc.
Best of luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Non-Profit Organization - February 16th 2012, 10:39 PM

This seems like a great plan! Good luck with everything

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Non-Profit Organization - February 16th 2012, 11:55 PM

I actually run a state certified nonprofit group called Rocking For Life. Our goal is to raise awareness of Teen Suicide. Let me tell you, it's a LOT of work! You better be ready to spend more hours on this than you ever spent on school or a job, because running your own organization at our age is exactly that. Learning, and work.

The biggest advice I have is GET A GROUP INVOLVED. It is nearly impossible to do this on your own, in fact if you want to be federally certified (which you will have to if you want to call yourself a nonprofit group) they will not accept you if it's just you and a few friends. I suggest getting some adults on your side, because no one takes us teenagers seriously. I'm technically not even a teenager anymore, and still no one takes me seriously even though I got certified.

I also suggest taking some business classes, they'll help you learn all the law and government lingo that is drawn out and hard to understand. I'm taking college level classes for business, if you're not into business it's hard as hell.

I also have this book, it has helped me out loads: http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...ation-NNP.html

Uhm. Other than that, don't give up. Even when it's hard, and trust me, it'll get hard. PM me if you have any questions, I've been there, and done that.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Bite Me Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Non-Profit Organization - February 23rd 2012, 01:22 PM

Thank you all for your support
And Marissa, I admire that you have already paved the way for me a bit by having gone through all the processes to get certified and maintaining the organization. I have the book Nonprofits for dummies I will have to look at getting the book you have too, its nice to have more than one source of information, and more than one outlook on how to get to a certain place. My mom is actually the one who came up with the idea of me starting a nonprofit.. so I have her on my side. I do need to work on coming up with more people though. I have some in mind, and it would be nice to have more people my age involved, but like you said they won't take you seriously because we are young. I'm no longer a teenager and I've always been older than I am. Thank you so much for your input and I will be sure to PM you if I come across any problems.

“The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.”

HOOAH!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Non-Profit Organization - February 23rd 2012, 04:29 PM

That's such an awesome idea!
Good luck with everything! Hope it works out!

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bite Me Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Non-Profit Organization - March 7th 2012, 06:03 PM

Thank you!! I'll be sure to keep you all updated as it progresses I think I'm going to start a blog on it to help do so!

HOOAH!

Closed Thread