TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AlabamaForever Offline
MissKayla
Welcome me, I'm new!

I want to go to Princeton University - April 8th 2012, 11:28 PM

Ever since I was 7 i've wanted to go to Princeton but now i beganing to doubt that I can even get there my freshmen year so far in terms of grades hasn't been the best- due to dealing with a huge issue and obstacle in my life.

My grades so far have been

First Quarter:
Intro to Broadcast Journalism=A
Physical Science=B
Spanish Level 2A =B
English 9A=B+

Second Quarter:
Spanish Level 2B=C
Physical ScienceB =B+
Health= A
English 9B= A

And 3rd Quarter:
Am History/Geography 9A= A-
The Body Shop= A
Geometry A= B+
Jewelry I= B

So i'm basically wondering am i now out of the running to go to Princeton? I'm planning on taking an AP class next year and one honors course so my transcript looks better. I'm also hoping that since i'm part of a theatre company and a sport they'll understand about my lack of grades this year.

Any thoughts and opinions please!!!!!

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 9th 2012, 02:08 AM

Being brutally honest, I would say your chances are minimal if any.. unless you know someone who works there/ want to donate a building. Or you're hiding some big secret. However, if you get straight A's from now on in Honors and AP courses, you could potentially salvage something. Do you play any sports? Musical instruments? Theater is good... you should try to get some awards for it.

There are other fantastic schools besides Princeton, you know. My friends who go there say it's academically challenging and the people are a bit.. arrogant and nasty. Plus, 75% of the student body is in eating clubs (I believe). Seriously, there are other places that are fantastic. BUT, if this is your goal and dream, you *can* get there. You have a passion and drive (for a reason I am unsure of), but if there is a will there is usually a way

Did that help?

EDIT: You can talk about the obstacle in your admissions essay to explain the grades. That could definitely help your chances.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AlabamaForever Offline
MissKayla
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 9th 2012, 02:14 AM

I play softball in my community. I am involved in winterguard at my high school, which is a sport. I also am technically a professional actress, and part of my job as an actress is to go around to churches and schools exc. and talk to other teens about some of the issues and challenges i've faced as a teen to help other people know that they're not alone and how to get help.

And what exactly is an eating club? Sorry i'm only in 9th grade so i don't really know maybe i misread it or something?

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 9th 2012, 02:15 AM

Okay, that's good. Are you excellent at either of those? Do you do volunteer work? What's your image? Where are you heading? What's your story?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AlabamaForever Offline
MissKayla
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 9th 2012, 02:22 AM

Well my story............i mean my dad died when I was 7 and i've always hoped to do great things to help my mom and give back to her for all the great things she's done for me. I usually volunteer at nursing homes and at like pasta dinners and stuff.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 9th 2012, 02:44 AM

Well, when I meant "story" I meant, how are you gonna sell yourself as a student. What's your package? How does everything make sense?

Your volunteer work sounds great!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AlabamaForever Offline
MissKayla
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 10th 2012, 01:49 AM

Oh sorry my bad... Well I mean I pick up on things really fast, I'm an over-achiever so I usually have to ask for clarification because I tend to over think things. Starting high school I really didn't have good study habits and after trying different things I finally came up with a way that works for me- flashcards and that's why grades are improving

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 12th 2012, 05:42 PM

It's great that you have set the goal for yourself of getting into an ivy league school. Most people's chances of getting into them are slim to none, so try not to get too down on yourself if you get rejected. It isn't the end all be all of colleges. I'm not telling you not to try for it, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. There will be plenty of schools that would take you if Princeton doesn't. As a side note, I'm pretty sure your grades are better than mine were and I did just fine. You can return what your mom has done for you no matter what college you go to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: I want to go to Princeton University - April 13th 2012, 10:54 AM

It's great to have a high goal to aim for. I have a goal of getting into East Anglia uni, which although is nowhere near as prestigious as an Ivy League, it still requires very high grades and an outstanding portfolio. Keep trying, do as well as you can, but try not to be too disappointed if you don't make it. You have the drive and determination, but sometimes life isn't in our favour. Keep trying, though. We don't get anywhere if we don't try!

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread