TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Unhappy Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 21st 2013, 11:13 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi,

I might just be offloading here so i'm sorry, but any comments would be greatly appreciated.
So, i've managed to get around the topic of what i 'experienced' when i was younger quite effectively with professionals as they didn't ask me direct questions, until today. I was getting reviewed by a psychiatrist, so he was going through my whole history with me and asked me straight out if there was any abuse, so i said "i remember something", then after a couple more questions of just like my age etc he asked if it was sexual. I completely panicked and said "kind of". I think he realised I was panicking because he changed the topic quickly and kept asking me to repeat dates.
I couldn't look at him for the whole of the appointment after that. I'm freaking out that it's on my file now, so everyone that sees me from the mental health teams will know. And "kind of" what on earth are they going to think about that?! What if when they know more about it they think i'm being stupid? What happened was definitely of an 'intimate' nature, but i don't have a clue what they're going to assume from what i've said.

I don't know what to do with myself, i'm so stressed that he knows that about me and also because i don't know what "kind of" implies or doesn't.

I'm sorry, again, any comments would be appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
justdatdude Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jack

Re: Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 21st 2013, 11:54 PM

Hey, Sophie, sorry to hear that you went through this stuff. But you must understand a psychiatrist isn't a person like an untrusted friend, these are professional people, they understand what they are doing, and they understand to keep things secretive, to ensure that you can trust them.

They do this kind of thing everyday, and they wouldn't be employed if they were not friendly, or don't know what they're doing, they know perfectly well what they are doing, and they know what to do, to keep your trust. If it was discussed with a mental health team, it will not be discussed as briefly as "Abuse" or the other kind of it, it'll be described as, PTSD or something along the lines of that, The psychiatrist will not reveal it openly, and it'll go on your file as the same thing, it wont come up as what you think, it'll be strictly confidential, also "Kind of" means either "Yes, a little bit" or "Not as you think"

<3 <3, Sophie don't worry about it anymore. You've told him what you told him, you should feel glad you got it off your chest, and relax from now on. Whats happened to you is a disgrace, but you'll come off stronger and better for it Sophie, i wouldn't lie to you. <3 <3

Just relax, everything will be okay. I know it, its a FACT.

PM/VM me for ANYTHING. <3

N/A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Avaleine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Avaleine

Re: Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 21st 2013, 11:59 PM

I'm sure that he has spoken to many, many different people who have had similar things happen to them. He probably knows "kind of" can mean a variety of things, so he shouldn't assume. He is a professional who went to school to learn how to handle all different types of situations similar to yours. Try not to worry about it. You're very brave to talk about this, or at least I think so.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 22nd 2013, 12:44 AM

The fact that you said, "kind of" implies to him that 'something' happened but you certainly don't want to discuss it. Your psychiatrist can't put "kind of" as an answer to his question down on record and because you kept changing subject tells them another sign that you don't want to talk about it. What if your psychiatrist wanted to know more? Would you want to talk about it? And why would it be so bad if it was on your record? It's UK law that all medical information is kept private and confidential. "I remember something" and "Kind of" aren't going to get you put down for anything because you haven't spoken much about it and they can't put down that you've had something going on in your past because they don't know what it is. They can't lie on your record or they'll be the ones with a problem for lying about what they write on your records.

Please don't worry to much about it. If you do have a problem and it still worries you, find someone around you that you can talk to or even talk again with the psychiatrist you were with.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Re: Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 24th 2013, 11:26 AM

Thank you's so much for your replies it means a lot that people even replied to me! I'm trying to relax about it, and i guess you's are right that he can't assume things.
Sarah, if the psychiatrist wanted to know more, i would talk about it, as long as he asked direct questions that i couldn't get around. Though it petrifies me, i think on the long run it might be helpful to talk about it as it may be contributing to how bad i feel about myself and life. I don't like the idea of it being on my file because it means anyone that sees that file has private intimate knowledge of me. Then they can judge me, hate me, blame me, laugh at me etc without me knowing.

Again, thank you all so so much for your replies, it really does mean a lot to me!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Psych knows and i'm panicking - June 24th 2013, 04:42 PM

That's understandable though only certain jobs like if you were going into a medical career or the police etc would want to see your medical history. Otherwise your medical files stay private unless it was absolutely necessary.

Closed Thread