TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Starla Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Was I sexually abused by my brother? - April 30th 2009, 08:57 PM

My older brother used to touch me and get me to touch him from a very young age. It literally didn't even occur to me until I was about 11 or 12 that what was happening was wrong because he'd always done it so it just seemed normal. Except we hid it from our parents. Once I got to the age where I realised it was wrong, I wanted him to stop, but he wouldn't. He assured me that it was 'normal' and he was just 'experimenting' and that he thought his friends probably did it with their sisters too. I didn't really believe this but I was scared if I told my parents I'd get into trouble and he would deny it or tell them I wanted him to do it to me and they would punish me for it. He was always violent towards me aswell and I knew he'd make my life hell if I said anything. Telling anyone was out of the question. So I never told my parents. I've never told anyone about it because I am so completely ashamed of it and at the age of 13 I still can't figure out if it was sexual abuse or not. He's two years older than me.

Last edited by Gaia; May 1st 2009 at 12:15 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - April 30th 2009, 09:15 PM

I am sorry you had to go through this experience, Starla. Sexual abuse is never an easy thing to deal with, so if you ever need to talk to someone about it feel free to PM me.

There are a lot of definitions for sexual abuse, molestation, etc and the lines are often very fine. To some extent its not abnormal for little kids to go through a stage where they are fascinated with that area of the body, but it sounds like this was not the case with your brother because of how it continued and how he was violent about it and contiuned when you made clear you did not want to be touched that way. Because the definitions are so close together, I cannot tell you if it would be defined as sexual abuse. However, you were sexually violated in some way or another.

If you feel comfortable, I suggest talking to a counselor at school or another responsible adult about what is going on. They can help you out and help you process any feelings this may bring up. If not and you are too scared, I still suggest you keep talking to us here on TH or other friends, because its important to let others know what is going on with you. This is a traumatic experience, and you neednt deal with it alone.

Take care, Starla. My pm box is always open.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - April 30th 2009, 09:42 PM

Hey sweetie
Do not be ashamed at all, it was sexual abuse. Its not your fault.
My brothers best friend did the same thing to me from 6-8. He said it was normal and when he used to hang out with my brother, hed be friendly and then be rude and mean to me. I grew up thinking it was normal.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BlurrySunset Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meg

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - April 30th 2009, 10:46 PM

Whenever you guys were young, it's somewhat natural to have a fascination about your bodies. It is sexual abuse, but just like you didn't realize it until years later, he probably didn't even know what he was doing exactly at the time. Now that the two of you are older and both of you realize it was wrong, he might be violent towards you because he feels guilty. Or, he may be abusive and need help. Either way, the abuse needs to end now, and if it continues, please don't be ashamed and tell someone.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - May 1st 2009, 12:14 AM

It is sexual abuse, and as such I'm moving it to rape and abuse, and marking the thread as triggering, just in case.
Have you considered talking to people about it? I know he's your brother, but acts like this should not go unpunished.
Lou.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - May 1st 2009, 12:57 AM

I went through the same thing. It didn't happen for long, but it still carries with you. It happened when I was in third grade and I am so ashamed by it. It was abuse. You were young and taken advantage of. However, you know right from wrong now. And that's all that matters. Don't feel bad about it, it's not your fault. Just move on and forget about it. It's in the past.

Best wishes,
Megan

I'm a house of cards in a hurricane.
A reckless ride in the pouring rain.
He cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel.
He'll dance away just like a child.
He drives me crazy, drives me wild.
But I'm helpless when he smiles.

He broke my heart when I broke his xbox360

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Was I sexually abused by my brother? - May 1st 2009, 01:42 AM

That is both emotional and physical abuse. He made you feel trapped in the situation and took advantage of your age, as well. I'm truly sorry that you had to go through this, and I assure that if you tell your parents the full story, they'll know that it's not your fault. And I suggest doing that, because it's situations like these that you just have to get out of. It's not healthy, and it's certainly not fair.

Take care.

Closed Thread