TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kira123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I hate when people say this - January 10th 2016, 05:12 PM

I have told both my parents that I have things I want to talk to someone about. Someone outside the family. At times I think they understand and then I overhear the conversations they have. I heard my mom say that she doesn't know what I could possibly have to talk about, she knows everything she needs to know about me. Yes, you gave birth to me but you weren't at my side constantly. I get so angry when she says this. I feel like I am going to explode. No one, not even a mother, knows everything about a person. They just don't want to see everything else because things will change. Oh well.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: I hate when people say this - January 10th 2016, 06:50 PM

Here is something that has always helped me when I was experiencing a misunderstanding with my mom. Write her a letter. Say the things you want her to know but don't feel comfortable to say out loud. Then, approach her, ask her her read the entire letter before she responds, and then give her your letter.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I hate when people say this - January 10th 2016, 08:34 PM

Hey There,

I'm sorry your mom said that. My advice would be to sit your parents down and express how you feel and why you want to see a professional. So things I would say are "There are somethings I am not comfortable telling you just yet but I really need to talk about them, so a therapist would really help. I am afraid you might judge me or not understand. But a therapist most likely will." Stuff like that and hopefully they will let you see someone.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I hate when people say this - January 11th 2016, 02:27 AM

That's frustrating and you're right. Your parents don't know everything about you and you deserve to talk to a therapist to get help for this. Like the others said, writing a note might help. You can explain that you've been through some things she is not aware of and would like to get help for that. You can also sit down and talk to your mom if you're comfortable with that. Keep us updated.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: I hate when people say this - January 11th 2016, 04:40 AM

I'm sorry your mum said that, but the thing is a lot of mums think that they do know everything about their children. I know mine is always saying that she knows things that I don't think she knows, even if she doesn't. As the others said, I'd suggest writing her a letter. You don't have to put in things that she doesn't know, just explain that you want to talk to a counsellor and that there are things she doesn't know that you don't want to talk about to her.

I hope it goes well.
Take care

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I hate when people say this - January 13th 2016, 01:03 AM

I think that parents struggle when their child tells them that they want to talk to a professional. A lot of parents want to believe that they know everything important about their child and they also want to believe that if anything were wrong their child would come to them.

One suggestion I would make is that you sit down with your parents and let them know that you realize they don't understand why you need therapy and then outline some reasons as to why you want it. If some of the things are personal you don't have to share right away but maybe if you gave them a bit of an indication as to why you want to speak to someone they would be more open to the idea.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread