TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 03:33 PM

Okay, well this may be in the wrong section, if so you can just move it haha.

So here it goes, yesterday i got a phone call that my nephew's step-dad had come to his school, and ended up beating him up (he already has a history of abuse with him, which is why my nephew now lives with me and away from his mom/step dad)

When I got there I saw his step dad in the office and there were cops there, but something inside me just snapped and I ended up attacking him, and it took 3 cops to get me off him. I know it was the bad way to handle that, but I am really protective og my nephew because of all he's already been through with this guy.

The point is, he's charging ME with assault? I dont know how well it will hold up, but im still worried.

Any advice on how I could handle this? Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

xDylan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~ginaa32~ Offline
F*** tha world~lil wayne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ginaa

Re: A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 05:33 PM

well im sorry this is happening!! but uh do the police kno wat he does to ur nephew? jus tell the truth!! i kno that might not help much, but that is the best thing u can do, and get a good lawyer that will say u did it for protection of ur nephew. hope all goes well
<3

hey please feel free to PM me about anything&everything!!

fly, fly high, the sky is ur limit

If I can't have you
Let love set you free
To fly your pretty wings around.

Pretty wings, your pretty wings, your
Pretty wings. Pretty wings around.

Send a message via MSN to ~ginaa32~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ginaa32~  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 05:37 PM

They do have a report of everything that has happened in the past, that's why I am fairly confident I can get them dropped. I hope?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~ginaa32~ Offline
F*** tha world~lil wayne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ginaa

Re: A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 05:42 PM

well in that case under the circumsstances ull probably get a fine, maybe community service, anger classes..depending on what kind of jury you have..maybe imprisonment..but i doubt it

hey please feel free to PM me about anything&everything!!

fly, fly high, the sky is ur limit

If I can't have you
Let love set you free
To fly your pretty wings around.

Pretty wings, your pretty wings, your
Pretty wings. Pretty wings around.

Send a message via MSN to ~ginaa32~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ginaa32~  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 07:51 PM

While I am no legal expert I'll try my best to give you some advice. Do you think he would drop the charges if you threatened to counter charge him for the assault on your nephew and potentially even past abuse? I would defiantly hire a lawyer or look into getting a public defender and talking about your options. Did you inflict any serious injuries on him when you went after him? Is this your first run in with the law? What are the specific charges? It might be a good idea to look into the laws and possible penalties that would apply to your case. HERE is a brief overview of assault laws in Canada and HERE is more in depth information. It might be a good idea to attend an anger management counseling workshop because it would certainly make you look better in court. I hope I've helped answer some of your questions. I highly recommend getting a lawyer as soon as possible. Take care and hang in there.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A little advice? - May 16th 2009, 11:20 PM

Hey Dylan,

First off I just want to say that violence is never the answer, although I'm sure you've heard that before so I'll skip the lecture. Just remember that attacking his stepfather won't solve anything, let the police do their job. Focus on making sure your nephew is holding up okay, and try to forget about his stepdad [however hard that may be].

I can understand why he's charging you with assault, after all you did attack him. The first thing to do would be to make sure you hire a lawyer. Don't rely on a court-appointed defense attorney; the majority of the time, the court DAs are fresh out of law school and don't have a great history of winning cases. I can tell you right now that it is most definitely worth it to hire an attorney, and it will be well worth your money to do so. A good attorney can work wonders on any type of situation.

Since you're above the age of legality it may be a bit harder to get you off, since you're not a minor anymore. However, if you have a good history [no prior arrests, reports of drug use, DUIs, assault etc] the judge may go easy on you and, as Gina said, you may get off with community service, anger management classes and such, although it depends on the circumstances as well as what the actual charges are. A lot of it is circumstantial and your attorney would be the best person to go to for information about how the legal system will work and such, as s/he'll be more knowledgeable of how the law applies to your situation here.

I'm not an expert on legalities but I do know a fair bit about how the legal system works, so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM, I'll try to help the best I can. Take good care of yourself, Dylan.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: A little advice? - May 17th 2009, 01:50 AM

Thank you all for your replys and suggestions

I have already called and made appointments in anger management classes, and as far as previous run ins with the law, im pretty sure ive had drug stuff recorded, but I am clean, and if I were to take a drug test I would pass.

There is a record of his child abuse for a number of years, and its all been coming to light over the past couple of weeks.
At any rate, thanks for the replys again guys

-feel free to close this thread-

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A little advice? - May 17th 2009, 01:10 PM

Closing on user's request. Feel free to drop me, or another mod a message if you'd like this reopened!

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

Closed Thread