TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BusyGirl1995 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Digging into myself. - March 14th 2016, 10:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I don't post a lot nor do I say much about myself. I have started counseling about a month ago for what happened to me in my child hood. I guess its me digging into my past, into myself. How do we do this yet be strong? I often find myself so discouraged because I still feel just as angry as I did for a long time. When does this feeling go away? Does therapy really help? I know I should give it more time and that it just doesn't work overnight and all that stuff. I just want happieness.

Pure happieness.

Security.

Love thy self.

No guilt.

Forgiveness.

Closure.

Solutions.

I just need some assurance that this can all be met. I need hope, god i know it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Digging into myself. - March 14th 2016, 11:10 PM

I'm so glad to hear you started therapy! I know it can seem scary but that's a huge step and I hope you're proud of yourself for that. You're right in that therapy does take a while and sometimes it feels so frustrating when you put in a lot of work and you don't see much progress. I started intensive therapy for my childhood abuse two years ago, and I'm not even close to being halfway through everything that needs to be worked on. Healing is a very slow process that takes a lot of patience and self-care but you can achieve happiness. I think, through therapy you see glimpses of the happiness you're going to get when you're healed and it's a great feeling. If you have the motivation to do it and you put the effort in, you will get there.

Therapy does really help for many people, though it is not for everyone. I do think you should try to stick with it for as long as you can. Unfortunately, talking about your past will bring back a lot of uncomfortable feelings and memories, but those need to be brought back so you can process them and deal with them in a healthy way. It's painful but it allows your brain to store them correctly and will allow you to lead a healthier life.

You are very strong, though I know it is hard to believe right now. Seeking help for your past, facing that, and posting on here shows your strength. You survived some horrible things and they're going to make you stronger.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Digging into myself. - March 14th 2016, 11:13 PM

Hey,

I would just like to start of by saying that you are strong. It is completely normal and understandable that you should experience feelings of anger, considering what your younger self went through. It is going to take time to work through these feelings of anger, but you have taken a huge step towards healing by deciding to start counselling. It's going to be a long, difficult road, and I can't tell you when the feeling will go away, if at all, but I do know that it will help more to talk to a trained professional about it (since they'll be able to help you work through these feelings of anger and support you as you dig into your past and yourself) than to keep it all in to yourself.

You can do this. You're strong, and you're a survivor. The fact that you've decided to face these feelings at all and make an effort to work through them speaks volumes about how strong you are.

I sincerely hope that you will find happiness in the future. You are not to blame for what happened to you in your childhood. You are strong, and you're a survivor.

You can do this.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Digging into myself. - March 15th 2016, 07:20 PM

Hey there,

I had counselling for a short while for childhood issues. It was hard, and I numbed out a lot of feelings. But I do feel a bit better since then, and want to go back into counselling. Recovering from childhood issues does take time, and you may experience a lot of feelings during counselling. This is all to be expected. It's also important to have trust in your counsellor. If you feel comfortable enough, you could talk to your counsellor about how you feel angry and sometimes discouraged. The counsellor may be able to help you explore your feelings more, and if things aren't quite working for you, the counsellor may be able to change their approach to suit your needs.

Therapy can help for many people. At the same time, therapy can depend on how you 'click' with your therapist. You may find that a different therapist, or a different therapy approach might help. Depending on what issues you are facing, you may find that things like medication and lifestyle changes can help.

I think you should stick with counselling for a bit more. For childhood issues in particular, in can take some time to see the results. But it is worth it, so keep going- you are very strong

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BusyGirl1995 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Digging into myself. - March 16th 2016, 02:07 AM

Wow you all are so wonderful! Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Digging into myself. - March 20th 2016, 12:01 PM

Im also so glad you started therapy. I know going through therapy can be really hard though and can relate to that for sure. We have to talk about the things that have happened, how they made us feel then and how they make us feel now and that can be a really hard thing to go through. Therapy is a process. You'll find a day when you learn how to manage what has happenedtoyou instead of just talking about it and that can really really help you to cope with what's happened. I know this is a scary fight. And it's one you probably don't want to do, but you can do this and we're all here rooting for you. It can get better but I ho estate believe that time is a healer. But if you ever want to talk to us about anything, know we're here to listen and not to judge.

I hope this helps a little. Keep your chin up my friend.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread