TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

I am the victim: Random attack - May 19th 2016, 05:04 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I need to talk about this and I am not sure that talking about it and re-explaining it over and over is going to even help me that much right now. I am going to explain it in details and if anyone is triggered by abuse (any form please be advised it will be triggering) please don't read further.

I was attacked by three men in a staircase, a tiled-concrete staircase. They came up from behind me and grabbed me, picked me up and threw me down the steps. I don't think I hit any of the steps but the bottom. I landed on my arms and hit my head badly. They robbed me. I screamed and swore, cried for help. I dialed 911, which I got nowhere. No one saw it, they saw men flee. Everyone, disappeared or drove off leaving me there screaming. A man stayed with me and called for an ambulance.

The police arrived then the ambulance showed up. I remember the officer asking me stupid questions. I was walking all over the place, once the ambulance came I completely ignored the officer and his stupid questions and walked towards the ambulance where he told me to wait. I might have dropped the F bomb a few times, I honestly don't remember. Inside the ambulance the officer soon after got in asked me questions, and the one paramedic was holding my head in place, I cried and shook. I explained what happened to them. They put a head brace thing on and they set the bed up with the board where I laid on it. They strapped me in, they explained the entire process to me. Not only was I just attacked I am being strapped to a board where I can't move at all. They put oxygen in my nose. Covered me with blankets.

My head hurt, my arm hurt, my rib cage hurt, my leg hurt, I was scared and crying. I listened to them because I didn't want to end up with hyperventilation or whatever.

At the hospital I waited and was told I was safe and in a secure area where no one can get in. I had to explain to every new person who walked in what happened. The ordeal was traumatic and scary. They looked me over and said I was lucky, in terms of I was lucky they didn't kill me or have worse injuries. I walked out with a bruised up leg, messed up arm, and a concussion.

It's not the point that my injuries were so mild considering what happened, walking away from that because I didn't and never will be able to walk away from it. It happened to me, I get the flashbacks and it's clear as glass and it's scary as hell. I am scared to leave my home, I am terrified because it happened to close to where I live.

The police called to update me and said that they have a photo of the one suspect and will be identifying him and bringing him in, if they can't they're placing his photo in the paper/online. Some people are saying they saw two people other are saying they saw four people. I don't know, there was three.

I can't cope, I have a concussion and I barely can do anything and I feel useless, in pain, tired, and feeling like utter shit. I rather be sleeping.

I don't know what to do, I mean, I want to talk about this with/to others who have been attacked (it was a random attack) like this because I feel extremely alone, I just feel alone. I feel useless because I can't do anything. I don't know what I am suppose to do anymore. I am too scared to leave my apartment. I am suppose to look into resources but I am too tired to do much of anything.

I don't know where to begin or start?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 20th 2016, 08:34 PM

If you want to talk about and it go through it several times, thatís ok. It can be a good coping technique seeing as it was a recent event. If you find yourself still going over it sometime in the future, it may help to talk to a professional about it, to help you overcome the trauma that you experienced.

Iím sorry to hear that the hospital didnít offer much support to you. You are right that your injuries will heal, but what happened, and coping with flashbacks and feeling scared to leave your home, is obviously more serious and will take more time to heal. Did they not offer any after-care or mental health help? Itís totally understandable that you want to talk about this, and in particular, with others who have been through similar situations. It can definitely make you feel less alone talking with others who understand.

Itís hard when you are in physical pain as well as emotional pain to be bothered to do anything. But thereís no need to be harsh on yourself. You have been through a lot and itís ok if you donít have the energy to do much these days. When you have the time and energy, it would be helpful for you to check out resources. You can also call 211 to find victim support services in your area. And you could also ask your counsellor if you could spend some time talking about what you have been through. Whatever happens, you definitely donít have to go through this alone.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
baconmonster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 21st 2016, 06:36 PM

Have you tried to find a therapist, or a counselor to try to help you get over this fear? Or maybe even talking with family and friends to help?

One idea that maybe you could try, is to do small things with family or friends, perhaps just walking outside for a couple minutes, then gradually increasing it to different activities, such as walking around your neighborhood, going to a book store or some sort of store you're interested in, just have a friend tag along to help you out. I hope this helps a little bit, sorry for what you had to go through, hope this might help you over come that fear.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline

I can't get enough

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 22nd 2016, 11:15 AM

Thank you both for replying, I really appreciate it.

I go outside now normally, I just recently moved and the area I am in now it's a lot more calmer. The area I was in wasn't the worst.

Thursday I had a phone session with my counselor and we chatted, I explained how I was feeling and all the physical pain I was in. I mentioned some of the feelings I was experiencing, so when I have my appointment on Tuesday we're going to talk more about it. I don't remember a lot of the actual phone session, I have a concussion so things are hard for me in terms of my vision, memory, and headaches and then dealing with being tired from it.

I'm going to the walk-in clinic cause I have this very painful new bruise I saw the other night, and it's getting worse. It doesn't help when I just moved. I just want to get it checked out. I'm still upset the hospital never did scans on my leg or foot.

I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can't get passed this, that I regret not going to this cafe before I headed to work and maybe I wouldn't have been attacked. I know it's not my fault but part of it I feel it is my fault. I can't explain it.

I don't know what advice I am asking for or the support either, I wish I knew because it might be easier to know what I need.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 22nd 2016, 04:52 PM

I agree with the advice that has been given to you. I think you should just take it slow and deal with things as they arise. Maybe you can focus on dealing with your injuries as a distraction from the emotional pain for a little while.

I think sometimes you logically know it isn't your fault but your emotions tell you otherwise and that makes it really difficult to cope with. Keep reminding yourself it isn't your fault and hopefully, with time, you won't feel like you're at fault anymore.

You mentioned not remembering your phone session. I forget sessions a lot and I find it helps to take notes, or jot down key words to help jog my memory to remember what we specifically talked about. Maybe you can bring a notebook along or take notes in your phone.

It can be hard and frustrating when you don't know what you need but I hope you continue to write how you're feeling and if you're able to figure out what you need I'm around if you want to talk.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 24th 2016, 03:21 PM

Hey, Chantal, I am so sorry you went through this. You've already gotten some pretty helpful advice, so I am afraid I'm going to sound redundant, but maybe another perspective might help.

Have you considered trauma counseling or group therapy for those who have experienced abuse in the past? You say you want to talk to someone who experienced the same thing, and that might actually be helpful. I suggest looking into these things where you are, and I hope they help if you do decide to go through with that.

Did they ever do a scan for your concussion? If you don't want to go back to that hospital, do you have a regular doctor you see? Maybe you can talk to them about it? It's a bit worrying you forgot your phone session with your therapist.

Remember, this was not your fault. A bunch of guys with nothing better to do (and probably a criminal record) decided to pull this crap and harm you for no reason. You're not at fault one bit.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Samuel Offline
Sam
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 24th 2016, 04:31 PM

Not that this will change anything for you, but did the police pick up the suspect they had a picture of? And what happened there?
Maybe knowing they are going to get caught and punished will help ease your mind some

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline

I can't get enough

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 25th 2016, 08:58 PM

Currently I am looking into some services but with everything going on, it's becoming a bit challenging. I do have time tonight and tomorrow evening to do a few things.

Part of me feels it's my fault, I know it's not. I should have done something, should have gone into the store next to the door leading up to where I work, but I didn't. I know I can't change the past, now I'm hypervigilant if someone is behind me. I was at the mall yesterday (passing through) and a guy was behind me on the escalator and I had a fear I'll be thrown down and I scouted for people if anything where to happen. Nothing happened. It's this constant fear.

I haven't heard anything from the Robbery Unit Investigator yet, I haven't seen any new reports or updates on the police website either about the swarming or the photo. I'm not sure if they have been able to identify him or them. It's scary to think people say two people flee but others say they saw four. I remember three.

I want to know why they did it, I want to ask them that. I need to know to get closure. I can't get closure without knowing the purpose.

I'm scared being outside but I have to be outside so I just do it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
baconmonster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 26th 2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
Currently I am looking into some services but with everything going on, it's becoming a bit challenging. I do have time tonight and tomorrow evening to do a few things.

Part of me feels it's my fault, I know it's not. I should have done something, should have gone into the store next to the door leading up to where I work, but I didn't. I know I can't change the past, now I'm hypervigilant if someone is behind me. I was at the mall yesterday (passing through) and a guy was behind me on the escalator and I had a fear I'll be thrown down and I scouted for people if anything where to happen. Nothing happened. It's this constant fear.

I haven't heard anything from the Robbery Unit Investigator yet, I haven't seen any new reports or updates on the police website either about the swarming or the photo. I'm not sure if they have been able to identify him or them. It's scary to think people say two people flee but others say they saw four. I remember three.

I want to know why they did it, I want to ask them that. I need to know to get closure. I can't get closure without knowing the purpose.

I'm scared being outside but I have to be outside so I just do it.
Once again sorry for this. I know here we have crime stoppers that can usually find people with tips from the public since they have a photo of one of them it'll help a lot.

Ya some people might just forget how many they saw, either way if they can get the one, and if the detective is good at interrogations they might be able to identify anyone else involved.

Considering they didn't try to do anything else to you, I'd say it was just a few people trying to take advantage of a situation for quick money. Same thing almost happened to my mom, but my dad came out of the store and they both got scared from trying anything and left. I'd say based on everything, they could've been poor, without a job, possibly gang related trying to live the "gangster life". It happens here to. I hope that can kind of help. You could also ask the detective handling the case, as he might be able to find out in the interrogation when they find them.

Once again sorry that some people did something so terrible to you, hope things can improve for you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I am the victim: Random attack - May 26th 2016, 10:16 PM

Being hyper vigilant due to what you've been through is completely normal. I know the amount of time that feeling can last varies for everyone, but hopefully it will start to dissipate over time. I am glad you're going outside, despite being afraid of it. I think staying inside would probably make that fear worse so it's good you're being proactive about it. Repeated exposure to being outside or out in public in general might help you to gradually become more comfortable over time.

I'm here for you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread