TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Triggering: Police Refusing to Investigate Rape (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t145939-police-refusing-investigate-rape/)

Wingardium27 June 15th 2016 06:24 PM

Police Refusing to Investigate Rape

Hi.

Over the past 3 months, the police have been investigating my rape on and off. Today I have been told that there is nothing further they can do. The detective heading up the case told me that, should nothing be gleaned from the first interviews and photo identification, they would repeat the process. He has now gone back on his word and says that there is nothing more anyone can do, which to me sounds an awful lot like 'We won't do anything' as opposed to 'We can't do anything'. That detective gave me false hope (he went so far as to state that if the potential suspects refused the second interview/photo ID, they would be arrested). I find it highly unprofessional and I'm just so angry/terrified knowing that my rapist is out there knowing full well what he's done to me but with no consequences for his actions. To top it all off, my therapist is no longer seeing me as she doesn't think it's beneficial and my parents are being unsupportive.

Sorry for the rant, guys. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day :hug:

BayernManiac3 June 16th 2016 06:43 PM

Re: Police Refusing to Investigate Rape

As much as this sucks, there isn't a lot that he can do. Unfortunately, laws pertaining to rape and rape investigations are in severe need of reform. Under current laws though, there isn't really anymore he can do. He might have thought that he could arrest the person who assaulted you but could have not been permitted to by a superior or because of the law. Im very sorry and I hope that the person who assaulted you will get what's coming for him.

Wingardium27 June 16th 2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helpplease2000 (Post 1241024)
As much as this sucks, there isn't a lot that he can do. Unfortunately, laws pertaining to rape and rape investigations are in severe need of reform. Under current laws though, there isn't really anymore he can do. He might have thought that he could arrest the person who assaulted you but could have not been permitted to by a superior or because of the law. Im very sorry and I hope that the person who assaulted you will get what's coming for him.

Hi.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that there's not a lot he can do, but I would rather he checked with his superior first before telling me anything to make sure what he was saying was completely accurate and so as not to give me any false hope. Thanks for your support - I just hope karma's a bitch to him.

Thanks again!

Siobhan :hug:

Celyn June 17th 2016 08:25 PM

I'm really saddened to hear this. Is there anyone you can complain to and someone higher up that you can contact?

I'm also sorry to hear that your therapist decided not to continue sessions as she feels it isn't benefiting you. I'm guessing this wasn't a mutual decision? Sometimes it can be for the best, perhaps your therapist might feel that she can't help you as much as she wants. She should've talked it through with you though. Is there anyway you can get another therapist? If you still feel like you could benefit from counselling, it's definitely worth looking into.

It must be really hard when you have all of this going on, but you feel your parents aren't being supportive. Could you let them know that you would appreciate their support? Otherwise, do you have anyone else that could support you? You deserve support right now :hug: