TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Question Moving back a past trauma. - August 1st 2016, 05:58 PM

Hi everyone!
So, I've had something on my mind, which is my past trauma I experienced as a pre-teen (9-12 years old). How long do you think it takes for a person to move on from a traumatic experience? If you have moved past your trauma, how long did it take you? In my case, it would be sexual/ emotional/ verbal abuse. Also, so far, it's been 9-10 years ago, however it's still fresh in my mind.

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Moving back a past trauma. - August 1st 2016, 06:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with your past trauma. Do you know of anything that could have brought it to the surface again?

I think healing from trauma is something that everyone does differently, in their own time, depending on what the trauma was, how often it occurred, etc. It's normal for it to resurface from time to time, even if you've worked through it. Many people who don't work through it find that it resurfaces often until they do work through it.

My traumas were physical, sexual, and emotional. My abuse started when I was two and a half, or three, and continued by several people over different years (but a decade consecutively). My traumas range from fifteen years ago to pretty recent. I have not completely healed from many of my traumas. I've been in therapy for a few years, and have many left to go. Recovery is subjective, and while I believe I will improve slowly, I do not believe I will ever completely heal from the past.

Try to remember that everyone is different, and you will heal in your own time. We'll be here for you every step of the way.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Moving back a past trauma. - August 1st 2016, 07:43 PM

Sometimes things can trigger you into reminding the traumas, but sometimes, you may find yourself being unable to take your mind off it. As it's been said, healing from trauma is an individual thing and there are many things that can help or hinder recovery.

My traumas were emotional and sexual. The emotional part was for most of my life, but the sexual part was when I was 9...not sure how long it lasted but it was multiple times. I started to learn more about my life and the complicated things that were going on that lead to emotional issues from the ages of 18 until now. I'm really starting to make progress now. As for the sexual aspect, I thought I had dealt with it over the last 2 years. However, I didn't realise I had simply learned to type it out, feeling numb. It's only now after a trigger caused an intense flashback/panic attack that I'm starting to deal with it. It took a lot of reading other people's experiences, reading and doing self-help exercises, as well as talking to a therapist to reach where I am now.

Healing may take some time, but you will get there

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Moving back a past trauma. - August 1st 2016, 11:05 PM

I think everyone recovers differently.
Somethings that bothered me a while ago, still bother me. I won't say I'm traumatised, because that would be too strong a word, but there is no fixed time.
Have you tried to talk to someone (a counsellor, parent, friend?); because I believe that helps a lot.
You can always PM me if you like.
Hope things get better

Closed Thread