TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

nightmares? - December 11th 2016, 04:37 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i keep like having these nightmares involving the postman. (i was sexually abused by our postman/mail man when i was like aged between 11-16) at the time i blocked like alot of it out.... over the past couple of years ive been talking to a place about like some of the things that happened nd what the postman did.. but recently i have like found myself have these nightmares.... where the postman will be in these dreams either trying to get to me, do things to me and block me / lock me in somewhere... i will wake up panicking and sweating and basically find it hard to get back to sleep.... but im not like sure how to deal with these nightmares. sometimes i'll get haullcinations... the postman will be in my room touching my things and sitting by my door to like stop me leaving my room ... basically does anyone know how to deal with this? i dont feel ready to like report it to the police or talk about it face to face..... the place i talk to about it is like a phoneline/helpline which does like really help. but im just like wondering if anyone here knows any way i can like deal / cope with these hallucinations and nightmares?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: nightmares? - December 11th 2016, 08:44 PM

Hi Lydia,

I've had a few nightmares based on past situations involving rape and abuse. The way I deal with it is I bought a dream catcher. I hang it above my bed and it catches all the bad dreams that I have. Once in a while I will clean it by shaking it over the toilet and flushing all of the bad dreams away.

When it comes to the hallucinations can you try putting a blanket over your head? Could you turn on a light? Can you listen to music/watch TV?

Try remembering that he's not actually there and he can't hurt you.

I hope this helps,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: nightmares? - December 11th 2016, 10:40 PM

I have about three dream catchers about my bed I've never cleaned them I might try that and see if it helps. with the hallucinations i find they tend to like leave me frozen to my bed like i will be to scared to move occaisonally i have tried talking to him telling him to go away and hes not welcome but that just seems to like make him stay more..... i might try the music though and see if that works!

Videos team

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Re: nightmares? - December 11th 2016, 11:19 PM

I would try something relaxing before bed to put you in a calm and safe state. Make a bedtime routine that is consistent. When you are ready, it would probably be best to process this with professionals. I see a psychiatrist that has me on a wonderful medication for PTSD flashbacks and nightmares that has helped tremendously. Hope you find something that works for you in the meantime. <3

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: nightmares? - December 12th 2016, 02:39 PM

I like the idea of creating a bedtime routine to do relaxing things before you fall asleep. Maybe you could bring different grounding tools and comforting objects into bed with you so it is a safe place. You could get some stuffed animals or a coloring book, for instance.

I have nightmares a lot but I cope with them in different ways and it goes in phases. Someone mentioned keeping the light on. Is that something you can consider? You could look for a little LED nightlight so you get a tiny bit of light if you can't sleep with a lot of light on. Or, if you have a TV outside of your room you could leave that or other lights on to remind you of other people being home with you.

I know that feeling of being frozen in fear. If you're afraid to get up after you have nightmares, maybe you can lay back down and do breathing exercises. You could also focus on a positive or a favorite memory as you're falling back to sleep. That, or anything comforting will do. If you can push yourself to get up, try doing that. Maybe you can turn a light on or walk around your room to show yourself that he is not truly there. You can make your surroundings safe so you can sleep again.

Nightmares are awful and I am sorry you're experiencing them. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. I hope you find a way to cope that is best for you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
roseegirl Offline
Wanderlust girl
Average Joe

Name: Ravioli

Re: nightmares? - December 15th 2016, 04:09 AM

When i get into flashbacks, i have a try to think about a good memory and as soon as im not frozen anymore, i normally text someone who knows about my whole situation or i call them so then it helps me take deep breaths and get a couple laugh in.

The bed routine is a great idea that might be able to help. Also the grounding thing really help. I have a necklace on that means alot that help me take deep breaths.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: nightmares? - December 15th 2016, 08:19 PM

i've got about three dream catchers above my bed but the nightmares seem to be like every single night... sometimes the postman will be shown as like a hero... other times he will be shown as a hero and bad guy and other time he will just like be a bad guy in the dreams.... the dreams are like always leaving me on edge, and i wake up panicking and sweating... i dont know if it is about time i maybe like tried to get myself some help for what happened.... but then i dont know if it would like make the dreams worse.... because its only been since i started like talking about the postman more ive had these dreams.... but i know at the same time like shutting the postman out and not talking about it isnt like a good idea either... but i dont know if telling is like the right thing right now if i should like wait or if i should just report to the police... i dont know.

Videos team

(#8 (permalink)) Old
virtualprincess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: nightmares? - December 16th 2016, 12:22 AM

i don't strongly believe dream catcher could help in this case.
I think you should play some sports, do some exercise and listen to relaxing music (many on Youtube) before going to sleep or even during sleeping. It helped me avoid nightmare very well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: nightmares? - December 17th 2016, 09:42 PM

Hi Lydia.

I can relate to this a lot.

I have had many nightmares about the abuse I went through as a child/teenager. I always try to have a set routine for going to bed and I also do something calm and relaxing in the evening like watching a film, listening to music and I often do relaxation or mindfulness when I go to bed too which can help me fall to sleep in a settled way. I used to keep a notepad by the side of my bed (before I moved out) so if I woke up in the night from a bad dream or nightmare, I could write what ever I wanted, so about the dream I had or how I felt or what I was thinking or any worries I had so I could get them out and then go back to sleep again. Maybe you could try things like this but remember different things work for different people so keep trying new and old things too.

As for the hallucinations, I know when I struggle with them, having a light on is always good. I try to contact someone who can talk me through it. I do this thing where I have to name five things I can hear, five things I can smell and five things I can see too. But I always try to tell myself that what is happening, is not happening. That it is part of my illness and I am stronger than the voices and hallucinations and that they will only hurt me if I allow them too although I know that this is a lot easier said than doing.

I hope this helps. Keep going. You're doing super well.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#10 (permalink)) Old
itzz.casper Offline
~Unicorns~
Average Joe

Name: Casper

Re: nightmares? - December 18th 2016, 11:44 PM

Hey sorry for what happened to you. It sounds like you feel threatened. So I suggest lockin your windows and lock your doors and have a knife by ur bed (for safety reasons) That might drop the ease. Next try to do somthin that will calm down your entire body. Like a warm bubble bath or a hot shower, to calm ya body down. Another tip which ya dont wanna do but I advise it. You should tell an authority. To see if you can get a restraining order on this dude. So ya feel a little safer.

Hope this helps!
PM always open.

~
Yours truly, Casper

I'm not looking for sympathy, just understanding- Jacoby Shaddix <3

Closed Thread