TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arion Offline
Arion
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Arion

Need my social security card - August 19th 2017, 11:01 PM

My mom's husband threw away my social security card, and its been about 3 months since I've been asking for her to get it, but i'm not a priority in her eyes and she doesn't get anything I need unless its for her/benefits her or her step children want something. For example: I may ask for for aloe vera.. it'll take weeks to get it and I typically get it on my own but she'll buy a step child 2 phones in one day.

I need my SSC so that I can start working and use the money to put me in a better school as well as do things that keep me outside of the house (dance classes, drivers ed) and also later help me get my first car after I finish drivers ed.

I need a way to get it on my own without needing anything from her. I do not know my SS number or my moms or dads (he left when I was born)... I already know that I can request a replacement with my school ID and i I go in person.. but I need to make sure I don't need any type of information from her.... any tips? or if anyone can explain the process and what I'l need to complete the form?

I can't call CPS or the police, its simply not safe for my situation or with the system we have... getting that card is my main chance at actually being happy and having an easier time moving out and cutting out abusive members as well as getting help faster for the mental damage... please help anyway you can and I'll be accepting of any information you have.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Arion Send a message via Skype™ to Arion 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need my social security card - August 20th 2017, 12:32 AM

I would advise calling a local Social Security Administration office and asking them what you will need.

I know when I was 17 I got a job and needed my Social Security Card. I don't remember them asking for any information about my parents. I also don't believe that my dad or myself knew what my social security number was. I do know that I brought my birth certificate and my ID with me but I am not entirely sure if they needed the birth certificate.

However, that was over 10 years ago and so I am unsure if things changed or if I am remembering it all correctly. If you call the office and explain things to them such as the fact that you are a minor who is unaware of what your SSN is. I would also explain to them that you would be applying for one by yourself without a parent. I know I went with my dad but that was mainly due to transportation. I don't recall them needing an adult present.

If you call the phone call should be pretty quick. Do not call the national number though because they get really busy and they usually have to call you back which can take a while. If you call a local office they should be able to answer the phone and you shouldn't be on hold too long. I've called both numbers and have always gotten better results with the local office than the national number.

I hope that this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Need my social security card - August 20th 2017, 01:36 AM

I got a new ssc like in June of this year because my dad lost it after losING my birth certificate as well and I was really stressed because I had a job offer but needed documents and luckily I made the deadline.

What happened was that I got an application, and was a asked both my parents' social security numbers. It also asked for mine which I was lucky I knew by heart.
And if asked for the exact name as it appears on your birth certificate.
Do you have any documents that had asked for your social security number? If you have the number from a previous application or something that would help loads. I'm not sure how it would be for someone who doesn't know theirs or their parents' ssn. However my dad had to apply for a new ss card too and his parents are long dead and never had ss numbers and it was fine.
Maybe someone at the records office of the previous school you were in would know how to help. (If I recall correctly you are switching schools) I think doctors might ask for SSN on the application if I'm not mistaken so maybe your doctor has it on file

Edit- your ssn should be on your parents' tax files. I know you said you can't ask your mom for help but it is your right to know your own SSN and this would be a one time thing if you learn it by heart or write if down somewhere safe

Last edited by ~Radio Flyer~; August 20th 2017 at 01:58 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
shlomit Offline
Queen of the Cacti
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ♔ Shlomit

Re: Need my social security card - August 22nd 2017, 06:48 AM

I may be wrong, but a friend in a similar situation told me that since your SSN is registered under your legal name, you would only need to provide adequate identification to get your replacement. School ID is a good idea; I would also suggest making a copy of your birth certificate to bring along.

When you get a replacement card, consider scanning multiple copies for personal safekeeping in case the new original is lost or stolen.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need my social security card - August 22nd 2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomit View Post
I may be wrong, but a friend in a similar situation told me that since your SSN is registered under your legal name, you would only need to provide adequate identification to get your replacement. School ID is a good idea; I would also suggest making a copy of your birth certificate to bring along.

When you get a replacement card, consider scanning multiple copies for personal safekeeping in case the new original is lost or stolen.

You aren't supposed to make copies of your social security card. It says so on the card. I don't think any Jon would take a copy either. If someone asks for it they want the original. I think that's partially to do with fraud.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread