TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

is this physical abuse - November 28th 2017, 02:14 AM

[SIZE="a"]does one slap count as physical abuse from a parent

I don't think what happened to me counts as getting "beat up", but here's what my parents did to me:

-slapped on the face a countless times, over and over and over
-hitting my head hard
-pushed me (however i accidentally stumbled back and bumped my head against the wall, they did not mean for that to happen though.)
-shoving me to the ground

this only happened twice. i dont know if that counts as physical abuse because it is not ongoing, and im not gonna lie i did something REALLY REALLY bad and told them i was going to my older brothers house when i was somewhere else. its a long story but i did some very bad things there and i lied to my parents and told them i was at my brothers' house the entire time i was gone. the thing i did could have endangered me so i think thats why they got very angry and started to do some physical stuff to me[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: is this physical abuse - November 28th 2017, 03:21 AM

Hey there,

Yes, in my opinion, these things do count as physical abuse. I know that it has only happened twice but it does not matter how often it is happening. It matters that it is happening. If it would be safe to do, it might be a good idea to talk to a trustworthy adult about what is going on and see if you and your parents could get help for this. I know that it might be difficult to confide in someone about this but if you are able to talk to an adult they might be able to get you some help for this situation.

Please hang in there.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: is this physical abuse - November 28th 2017, 12:51 PM

As it has been said it doesn’t matter how often it has happened, it just matters that it has occurred to begin with. Your parents shouldn’t have hit you. They should have found different, healthier ways to express the anger they were feeling. Hopefully sharing some of this with us helped you feel a bit better; sometimes talking about it can do a world of good.

Do you have anyone else to talk to about this? Maybe a relative, friend, or someone at school so you’re not feeling alone with this? If you can’t or don’t want to talk to anyone maybe you can continue talking to us or journal or blog about how you’re feeling.

Keep holding on.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: is this physical abuse - November 28th 2017, 05:48 PM

[SIZE="a"]sorry guys but now that i look back at my post i think i sort of over-exaggerated in the heat of the moment/how upset i was about the situation when i posted about it yesterday.

-so when i bumped my head against the wall it was barely a tap, it didnt even hurt and they did not intend for that to happen AT ALL. I know for sure it wasnt their intention for me to bumo my head, plus it didnt even hurt i just lightly tapped it against the wall.

-the hitting aggressively was not really all over my body, i think it was just on my face and on my head -- i just dont remember details, it was all a blur cuz it all happened so suddenly when they got angry at me and i was frightened at the moment i dont remember details.

does this still count as physical abuse? my siblings and me have a very good relationship, and they are literally my best friends, but even they thought i kind of got what was coming. they were still very upset that my parents did this and even reprimanded my parents when they hit me, but later when i talked to them in private they said i kind of deserve it and that it was selfish for me to think that i was a victim, especially since all of this happened to begin with BECAUSE my parents care about me and were worried for my safety. they just didnt want me to do something so stupid again so i guess thats why they lashed out.[/size]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: is this physical abuse - November 28th 2017, 06:59 PM

Some parents might choose to physically discipline their children, but there is a fine line between discipline and abuse. With discipline, it's planned and there often is a conversation afterwards that helps to explain why they were disciplined. With abuse, it can be spontaneous, such as lashing out. Everyone, including parents, gets stressed, and even if you did something that merited getting disciplined, you don't deserve being lashed out at in anger and getting physically hurt. There are other ways for your parents to discipline you that doesn't involve hitting.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread