TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Triggering (Abuse): It was my partner... (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t156147-my-partner/)

charliemoosic June 6th 2018 12:06 PM

It was my partner...

If i ring a helpline about my partner abusing me, will they call the police? I live with him and his mum in her house and have nobody else to stay with if i have to leave. Tryung to find somewhere to go in the meantime but i really need help dealing with the latest and most traumatic rape...

Also does anyone know any good helplines to ring for this? I once rung someone for help with homelessness and they really couldn’t care less...

Celyn June 6th 2018 02:13 PM

Re: It was my partner...

Hey Charlie,

Sorry to hear that you were recently raped and are currently living with your abusive partner. You don't deserve any of the abuse at all, and I really hope that we can support you to get through this.

Helplines often have a confidentiality policy meaning that they won't break confidentiality unless they have to. But this may vary across helplines e.g. some won't break confidentiality unless there is a child involved. In terms of getting police involved, that's usually down to the individual whether you choose to report it or not. You can always ask at the beginning of the call whether they would get the police involved as I imagine most helplines especially for domestic abuse would have callers worrying about the same thing. You aren't alone in this.

For a general listening service, Samaritans are helpful. There's also Rape Crisis and Womens Aid specifically for rape and domestic abuse.

The NHS also has an article on domestic abuse that you might want to check out here. And for housing, you can always contact Shelter to see if they can help you.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had much luck with helplines in the past. If you are able to, you could talk to your doctor about what you are going through, but they may have to report the abuse if it's still going on.

Hang in there and keep us updated :hug:

.:Bibliophile:. June 7th 2018 12:40 PM

Re: It was my partner...

Hello,

You were given some great advice. I think the best thing to consider doing is to ask whatever helpline you call what would lead to them breaking confidentiality. You could list a hypothetical such as "If someone was currently being abused by their partner would you breach it". In the USA there are really strict rules about confidentiality and breaching that but since you are in the USA I cannot say for certain. I do hope that you will be able to get away from them situation as you do not deserve to be abused in any way. Please know we are here if you need anything. :hug: