TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Trauma class trouble - July 16th 2018, 12:38 PM

I'm not sure if I will get answers before I need them but I'm hope I do. So I have started the trauma class and last Thursday I kept blanking out, what I mean by this is I couldn't hear anything anyone else was saying I couldn't even hear my own thoughts(which is really weird for me) when I came to I was shocked that I didn't hear anything . To the point I had to cause pain not to blank out. Anyways two of my very good friends( more like sisters to me) Have told me to talk to the teacher. I totally plan to do this today. Its just really hard to bring up and I don't know how to. I mean I probably will start with " This is really hard for me to say and I may not make total sense but... " but what do I say after that. Like if you guys could give me some ideas that would be great.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trauma class trouble - July 16th 2018, 01:09 PM

Hey there,

You could finish it by telling the teacher what you told us. "This is really hard for me and I might not make sense but the last class I was in I started to blank out. What I mean by that is I couldn't hear anything, not even my thoughts. Could there be a reason for this?' If you are nervous about talking to the teacher you could also consider writing down what you want to say and let her read it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Trauma class trouble - July 16th 2018, 02:55 PM

If you don't think you can say the words you can always write a letter or even print out this post. I really don't think that the teacher will find this kind of reaction weird or unusual. I am sure this is something they deal with often when it comes to this class topic and they should have some ideas on how to cope. I hope it goes well and keep us posted!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Trauma class trouble - July 17th 2018, 03:41 AM

So, I talked to Katie before group and she said that she doesn't want me to be causes pain to myself just to be able to stay alert and focus. She was saying how I may not be ready and its okay but I doesn't mean I never will. She was really concerned about how I was reacting to the conversation and told Me to think about it and talk to my therapist. I ended up staying and it didn't happen at all today so I told her and said I'm going to try and talk to my therapist but I'm not sure if she is away or not. And if I decided not to go back I would call her.

The thing is, I feel like if I can't handle it then I am worthless and a failure so I'm not sure if I can make this decision rationally.

Then I emailed my therapist and told her everything, but I had a typo and said I really don’t want to go back when I meant I really do. She replied and told me not to do anything I’m not comfortable with.

I still really am confused on what I should do. I mean I didn’t blank out today so that’s a good thing. I am missing Thursday. I’m thinking maybe trying one more class and if I end up blanking again then I will stop going. This is all so damn frustrating. Do you have any advice on how I should decide whether to keep going or forget it for now and hope I can get to a point where I can try again?

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Trauma class trouble - July 18th 2018, 01:49 AM

I'm glad you were able to talk to the facilitator and she was so supportive. I agree with your counselor (typo or not) that you shouldn't do something you aren't ready for. I don't know what exactly the trauma class is for, but I imagine you want to confront your past. If you do leave the group, I don't think that necessarily makes you a failure. You tried, you were brave enough to try and make the attempt to overcome the trauma. I think that shows a lot of strength, and I would be surprised if your counselor said otherwise.

Another thing, perhaps you can talk to Katie about doing one-on-one classes for now? That's another idea. But it's really up to you to make the decision. No matter what you choose, know how brave you've been doing this.

Closed Thread