TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

I think my mom gave me something that burnt my throat - November 3rd 2023, 07:24 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I'm really, really scared because I think my mom may have given me something that (chemically) burnt my throat. I'm 17 years old.

For context, this has happened before and my mom promised not to give me that specific "medicine" again (Chlorine dioxide MMS drops) because I believe they gave me chemical burns which took weeks to heal (although I never got it checked by any medical professional). Right now I think she might've given me something (maybe ClO2 but maybe something else) intentionally without my knowledge.

For even more context, my mom is a self-proclaimed homeopathy "researcher" (a.k.a. Google user) and is planning on starting a course to become a "licensed" homeopathic "doctor" next January (quotations because it's not medical school, it's just a random course made by other self-proclaimed "doctors"). She recommends MMS drops to anyone with any sort of sickness, scarring, wound, etc. and says it can cure cancer (despite knowing that I believe it's given me chemical burns before that took weeks to heal). Some examples of her beliefs are that vaccines cause autism (and Lyme, heart disorders, MS, and most diseases known to man) and pomegranates cure breast cancer.

For even more even more context, I've been sick for the past few days. I threw up Monday night and had to stay home from school on Tuesday and Wednesday because my throat hurt and I had a really bad turn-off-the-lights-it-hurts-I-literally-can't-open-my-eyes kind of headache both days. I had a stomachache on Tuesday but it had gone by Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon, my mom gave me my usual vitamins and was trying to convince me to take colloidal silver and chlorine dioxide, both of which I don't trust but only one of which (ClO2) has given me side effects before. This is something she always does, not anything new, and up until now it's been something she listens to, even if she starts crying to guilt trip me into taking whatever mystery pill/drop it is. I refused and she went into one of her "you're not going to get better if you don't let me help" lectures as I left to get something from my room (I have autism, OCD, and depression, all of which she's trying to cure "homeopathically"--yes, including the autism).

When I got back from my room, my mom had poured a new glass of water and was acting strange, so I thought she might've put something in it that I wouldn't normally take if I knew it was there, but I brushed it off as paranoia and took it to get her to stop ranting about me being just like my grandpa (who died of COVID at 76 and apparently stopped taking her vitamins in the months before he died because they weren't helping) thinking "eh, what's the worst that could happen?"

Wednesday evening, like 3 or 4 hours after I used this water to take my regular pills (vitamin C, etc.; nothing that can cause any harm), I could not talk. I didn't immediately blame it on whatever may have been in that water because I had forgotten by then, but now, two days later, my throat is still burning and I still can't talk. I've gone to school both today (Friday) and yesterday but I've been basically mute.

Only just now did I realize that this seems wrong since I got suddenly sicker after feeling like I was almost over whatever sore throat I had, and now I have a hacking cough (which happened the time I think I got chemical burns from ClO2 too; I had a sore throat and my mom gave me ClO2 to "help" and I got a hacking cough for multiple days, and a burning throat and a chemical taste in my throat for weeks).

I don't think putting something in that water without telling me to "help" me is something my mom wouldn't do. It fits her character perfectly well. She doesn't care about getting permission (I've had to take shots before and she chased me around the bathroom with the needle at someone else's house because we were at a church party and I was taking too long to work up the courage to let her stick me) and thinks she's always right about medicine (including when I tell her "that medicine you gave me gave me a hacking cough and a burning throat for weeks"; I'm just overreacting).

I'm genuinely scared of her. I don't know what to do because this could just be a weird sore throat with two different stages and maybe I'm being paranoid but I feel like I'm not.[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: I think my mom gave me something that burnt my throat - November 3rd 2023, 08:46 PM

That's definitely a scary situation to be in!

I can't say for sure whether or not your mom did give you this without your permission, but it sounds like there is at least a possibility that she did. This seems sketchy to me. For example, you said she gave you shots before? Were these prescribed by a doctor or were they something she came up with herself to try and give you? If you don't have a prescription she shouldn't be injecting you with anything and that can cause your body more harm. It's important for your doctor to know if she's giving you unauthorized medication as it can interfere with future treatments and diagnoses.

I don't know if you have any money of your own but if you do, I'd start getting your own medications instead of taking them directly from her. There are over the counter medications for different ailments that you can get without a prescription, and you know they haven't been tampered with. No matter how much she cries or tries using scare tactics such as talking about your grandfather, I'd stick to your grounds and refuse to take medications from her directly when you're sick. Since she possibly did this unknowingly, even refusing water may be in your best interest.

Are you able to speak up to anyone such as a teacher, doctor, or other trusted adult about what your mom is doing? They would have to report it and investigate, but your mom shouldn't be trying to treat you with things like this without your consent, especially if the things she is using may be causing more harm than good. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll be taken away, but she may have a better eye kept on her.

I'd also go to the school nurse about your throat at the very minimum. She can look and see if there are any visible signs of damage to the back of your throat such as redness or inflammation. Are there any white spots in the back of your throat? That may mean strep. If your mom will let you, I'd go to the doctor or an urgent care to get your throat swabbed for a strep test, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it's something simple like strep that can be treated, rather than anything more sinister.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive