TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
liketheangel Offline
Average Joe

Name: Amy

finally told family - June 8th 2009, 10:14 PM

i told a member of my family about my abuse.
shes like my aunty and so cool so i know she wont tell anyone else.
but jsut telling ehr and eharing ehr advice. and jsut her anger at the person that did it to me is something i feel i really needed

but i cant help but feel ive made her look at me differently.
i dont know. shes really supportive but all i wanna do now is talk about it more. as i never have,
but i dont wanna go on and seem pathetic. or make her worry so she tells other people

any advice on how to approach it?

Floating, falling, sweet intoxication
Touch me, trust me, savour each sensation
let the dream begin let your darker side give in
to the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: finally told family - June 9th 2009, 12:57 AM

Amz,

First off I want to say I'm really, really proud of you for talking to your aunt. It's really admirable; talking about abuse isn't easy at all and it's amazing you told her what happened. You should be proud of yourself.

Could you talk to her about your concerns? Tell her you're worried she'll look at you differently or tell someone? Voicing your thoughts is so important - people aren't mind readers, they can't know what you're thinking or feeling unless you speak your mind. Especially when it comes to talking about something that's hurt you in the past. Keeping it bottled up inside will only hurt you more in the long run.

Give her a call or drop her an email if you're a bit nervous about talking with her face-to-face, but definitely tell her what you're worried about. I think hearing her reassure you that everything will be ok and she's there for you can really help. You can never have too much support, and hearing this from her could help make it easier for you to go to her. More comfortable, if that makes sense.

Don't be afraid to open up to her, Amz. Talking about how you're feeling is a good thing. When you talk about what's on your mind, you have the chance to sort through your head. It can be a huge help just to get it out and off your chest. Have you thought about journaling or blogging as well? That way, when you can't talk to your aunt and you need to get something out, you can write your thoughts down. Counseling is something else to think about; a counselor would keep anything you say confidential, except in special circumstances [if your counselor thinks you're a danger to yourself or others, mostly, or if the abuse is still happening]. It's something to consider, definitely.

Again, it's so great you were able to talk to your aunt about it, that really is a huge accomplishment because talking isn't easy. My PM box is open anytime you need anything, ok? Take care of yourself and keep safe. <3

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

Closed Thread