TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Poof1033 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I am stuck - July 25th 2009, 03:09 PM

I am staying at a friends house for the summer. I havent lived at home for a year in Novmber due to a violent step-father. The problem is that I am enrolled in a school that is to far for other people to be driving me too. The people who I am staying with have no legal rights over me. I can not go home even though my mom wants me too. The only reason is cause my step-father takes his anger out on her when I am not there. He even once tried to strangled her and I dont want that to be me. i have started a job but do not have a car yet. Can some one help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: I am stuck - July 25th 2009, 09:13 PM

Hey (:

It must be so difficult to be going through this right now. It really isn't fair and I wish things were easier for you. I'm a little confused about the story though. If you legally can't return home but the people you are currently staying with have no real authority over you then who does? Is your mother refusing to leave your stepfather? Have you tried contacting any organizations against domestic violence that could help get your mom out of the situation she's in? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but thee is a lot to think about.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Poof1033 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am stuck - July 26th 2009, 03:15 PM

My mom has legal rights over me but I dont want to go back for ovious reason. She tried to kick him out but she cant. I have not cause I dont want to press charges I just want to be able to stay with the family I am with but getting to school is an issue.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: I am stuck - July 26th 2009, 08:00 PM

That is definitely something hard to have to deal with, has your mom contacted anyone about the abuse? that is not right, and you nor your mom should have to go through that all. I recommend that you go to the police and try to get them to deal with this. As for the school, is there a closer school you can enroll in? Or, any public transportation that you can take?

PM me if needed
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LoveFever Offline
:o
Average Joe

Name: Sam

Re: I am stuck - July 27th 2009, 03:56 AM

This sounds like a very hard situation.
Have you considered telling the authorities? I know it must be scary, but it will help.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Poof1033 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am stuck - July 27th 2009, 04:28 AM

i DONT WANT TO GET THEM INVOLVED

(#7 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: I am stuck - July 27th 2009, 08:46 PM

Hey again,

Okay, can you explain to us why you don't want to get the authorities involved? No one is going to pressure you into doing anything it was merely a suggestion. Do you think it might be easier for you to talk to a school counselor about your situation instead? Why wasn't your mother able to get him out of the house? I know you don't want to get the police involved but you might want to at least consider trying to get a restraining order in place so you might have a chance at moving back in. You also have to think about you and your mother's safety right now. You are in an unsafe situation and if you don't do something to change that then the outcome isn't going to be good. I don't want to see anything bad happen to either of you. I realize that talking to police officers is a bit scary and having little to no control over the situation is even worse. However, you don't have the power to make this all better on your own and you should really consider getting some outside help. Why are you protecting the man who is tearing apart your family? I'm not blaming you at all. I just wish you would take some time to reconsider your choice. Make a list of pros and cons if you have to and then think about how much each of the pros and cons weighs. In my opinion, the safety of your family out trumps anything.

As for transportation, do you know anyone else that will be attending that school next year? Could you car pool with anyone or take a school bus or even public transportation? Have you talked to the people you're staying with about what arrangements could be made or have you contacted the school to ask about suggestions? I hope you can find a solution soon. Take care and hang in there.

Lots of love<3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AshtrayHeart Offline
Human Wreckage
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess.

Re: I am stuck - July 28th 2009, 12:13 AM

Can you not tell the police about this and get him out of the household, that way both your mom and you will be safe.

'Cause there's no pride to be found when you follow sheep around..

<3 15/3/09 <3
11 months, I love you.
  Send a message via MSN to AshtrayHeart  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Poof1033 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am stuck - July 28th 2009, 12:48 AM

See I havnt lived at home for almost a year so I am not been in danger and the police where called and he was put in a cell for a night. I dont want to get the police envolved because I have a place to stay with people who I care about and that I trust. I just want to be able to stay with them and the only thing that is stoping me is school situation and money. If school wasnt that far away or if I had more money I could afford a car. I have a job but I dont beleive I can save up that much. My mom has tried to kick him out he wont leave. She has no money either so she can not afford and is not willing to which is part of the problem. I really dont want to live with my mom cause she is selfish and doesnt really care about me.

Closed Thread