TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Film was so triggering - August 2nd 2009, 01:02 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I watched a film the other night and it was so triggering, it graphically showed rape.
I was watching it with my friend and had no idea it would be included in this film, if I knew I would have definately thought twice about watching it.
It was horrible to watch and after that I've just been thinking so much about self-harming.
It brings back so many memories of what happened to me and I can't get any of this out of my head.
It's just not going away.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Film was so triggering - August 2nd 2009, 03:30 PM

Hey Paige,

One thing about suffering from any traumatic event is that there are possibilities of anything normal or irregular in life triggering flashbacks or memories regarding our past events. It's an unfortunate part of having to cope with the past. Sometimes, that means being careful or taking the extra step to learning what does and doesn't trigger us. It also means being prepared. Unfortunately, triggers can hold us back from doing things we once could in life. Just know that you can control this and you do have control over how you react to the triggers. We might not be able to control what out triggers are - but you can certainly help yourself cope with them.

What normally helps me is going back to a comforting time in my life. How you do that is your choice. Personally, watching old movies with comforting story lines helps me a great deal. It allows me to feel comforted in some form. Try watching a cartoon or something of those sorts. Before you contemplate harming yourself - remember that there are better ways to cope and you don't need to take it out on yourself at all. Cutting and things like that will only hinder your ability to cope with these things in the future. You want to be able to depend on yourself not a blade.

Seeing as you can't stop thinking about this triggering thing, I suggest you get your mind off of it. However you do that is your choice - so long as it's healthy. Try to do things that take mental alertness and force you to concentrate on what you're doing and not the movie you saw. Try playing games or do things that you need to look at. It can help take your mind off of whatever troubling you a lot faster if you have something visual to look at. Most of all, remember to vent and let how you're feeling out. It's okay to admit you're not okay and take some time to yourself. If you need anyone at all, I'm only a PM away. Take care of yourself.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread