TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Savanna Offline
Average Joe

I don't know what to do - November 9th 2009, 07:22 PM

I was abused by my dad then went to live with my grandmother. She abuses me but I don't know what to do. If I tell then I have to go into foster care but I can't take this abuse.
  Send a message via MSN to Savanna Send a message via Yahoo to Savanna Send a message via Skype™ to Savanna 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Primrose. Offline
Silence is a habit that hurts.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't know what to do - November 9th 2009, 07:41 PM

Hey Savanna,

You shouldn't have to deal with the abuse - it's not fair to you, and it's not right. You should be in an environment where you feel safe. The thing is, though, that nothing is going to change unless you reach out to someone and let them know what's going on at home. A teacher, counselor, coach, another family member.. whoever you feel most comfortable talking to. If you aren't sure if you can talk about it out loud, think about emailing or writing a letter to someone. Either way, you can't stay silent about what's going on. Again, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

When someone reports child abuse to social services, the main priority will be to make sure you're in a safe environment that disrupts your life as little as possible. That means you won't go into foster care right away. They'll try to find another family member you can live with, someone who'll take care of you and make sure you're safe. Foster care is a last-resort kind of deal. I know it sounds scary but, if it does come down to having to be in foster care for a little while.. well if it means you're safe and away from the abuse, do you think it might be worth it?

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's going to keep you safe.. because that is the priority, keeping you safe. You don't deserve to be abused, Savanna. Take care of yourself.<3

And when you've got nothing left,
say I don't wanna be in love.
I don't wanna be in love.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hope

Re: I don't know what to do - November 9th 2009, 07:41 PM

you might be scared but its the best thing to do you dont need to be getting abused thats not fair to you. Good luck

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: I don't know what to do - November 9th 2009, 10:15 PM

Hey there Savanna. First off, I just want to tell you I'm proud of you for posting here and reaching out a bit. I know that can be a scary thing to do. I definitely agree with the above posts though. No one deserve to suffer through abuse and you should tell someone if you can.

Is there an adult you trust enough to talk with? A teacher or a friend's parent? You deserve help through all of this. If you don't think you can talk with someone, you could always write a letter or email like Primrose said in her post. Another option if you live in the US, would be to contact social services yourself. They have anonymous reporting so you could make the call without anyone knowing.

I also think it would be good for you to talk with a counselor or therapist. Abuse is a hard thing to deal with and you don't have to try and cope by yourself. Talking with someone can really help you release some of the hurt.

You deserve to be loved and cared about Savanna. I hope you will find the strength to get help. Keep yourself safe and PM me anytime.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

Closed Thread