TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Just upset... reliving memories and emotions.. - January 6th 2010, 01:42 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. And sorry if this is a waste of space.. I'm just so upset I'm not sure what else to do.

I had an extremely intense session with my therapist (who is also my psychiatrist) and I can't seem to get over it. I was scared, and I didn't know why.. then we ended up talking about all the physical violence that I witnessed in my house all while I was growing up and continuing now.. and how I was alone and scared, and she asked what I was hearing around me and how I felt and things like that.. and I think it was helpful because she helped me work through the painful stuff and made me feel better. It's just I'm so shaken up right now.. I feel like all the emotions are flooding back and I can't stop them and I don't know what to do with myself. I know I can always call my therapist if I need her but it's not really that kind of situation. I just can't get it out of my head enough to function.. or at least do my homework. ughh. any support is appreciated. Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Just upset... reliving memories and emotions.. - January 6th 2010, 03:10 AM

Hey Alana,

I am so proud of you for working through those memories with your therapist. I know that isn't easy to do and takes a LOT of courage. I'm proud of you.

It's hard to get stuck in the memories, like you're describing. I do think this absolutely is a time when you can call your therapist--sometimes just hearing a therapist's voice can be grounding and help bring you back to reality.

To "ground" yourself, (keep yourself in the present) keep your feet flat on the floor, and feel your body where it is--focus on the here and now and focus on your senses--something you see, hear, smell, touch, etc. Sometimes whispering to yourself something soothing, like, "I am safe" or "Stay in the moment" can be a good mantra to keep you present.

Hang in there, Alana. You're doing a lot of hard work!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Just upset... reliving memories and emotions.. - January 6th 2010, 03:35 PM

Hey there Alana. It's really good that you were able to open up and get things out in therapy. It takes a lot of strength to do that and you did an amazing job opening up. And it's okay that you are feeling a bit shaken after such a hard session too; that seems to be a fairly normal reaction. You don't have to try and get through this alone though. I definitely agree with Jen that this is a good time to call your therapist. I'm sure she would want to be there for you.

I also wanted to give you this link. It's to a page on TH that tells you all a bit about ways to ground yourself when thoughts start to kind of take over.

I hope you are doing okay right now. Keep up the good work and feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Just upset... reliving memories and emotions.. - January 7th 2010, 10:59 PM

Thank you both so much

Closed Thread