TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rain-on-mi.cha Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

College ignoring sexual harassment - February 9th 2010, 01:36 PM

this is an issue that has been making me feel very angry and upset recently and I really feel that I need some advice or confirmation that I really do have reason to believe that what has happened is very wrong...

I started college in October last year, I'm doing a Level Up course which helps students who weren't able to get GCSE grades work their way towards qualifications...I wasn't able to get GCSEs because I was very bullied at school and left before the exams took place..it took alot for me to put myself back into a classroom situation, I was so nervous I nearly turned round again and left rather than go in on my first day. But I did it and in nearly all ways I have been enjoying it so much, I have made some lovely friends in my class who have also been through alot in the past and can understand..and my education is finally moving forwards..but theres been a problem. A boy in my class has been severally bullying and sexually harassing me and my female friend in the class. He has threatened to rape us, shown us several explicit photos of himself and other girls on his mobile phone, photos of anal and oral sex and also of him having sex with a girl surronded by his friends taking photographs of them...he has touched my friend inappropriately, these are some of the examples of things he has said (I'm sorry about the explicit content)..

Are you a virgin, haven't you been f**ked yet? I'll do it for you.
Soon I will be adding you to my collection. *While showing sex photos*
Do you like g*lden sh*wers? Bet you f*cking do.
I was behind you watching your a*se move all the way up the high street.

And other comments that are far to disgusting to repeat. He has sat directly oppisite to me during a lesson and began touching and stroking himself and liking his lips. He also bullies several members in the class referring to their weight, race and appearence. I told my head of course tutor 3 times about this and he failed to do anything. I also told my Teamwork teacher twice, she did nothing. I eventually spoke to my course tutor again after almost 4 months of this going on and he contacted our head of faculty. She made notes on what me and my friend told her was happening. Her decision to "appropriately" deal with the situation was to speak to this boy for around 10 minutes and then allow him back into the classroom, unpunished, no consequences, no investigations and no support offered to me and my friend. He then threatened my friend with physical violence as he decided she had spoken to the teacher about him. It took for me to speak to a very senior member of staff at the college who 30 minutes after I spoke to him suspended the boy and demanded an investigation begin straight away. My teachers have been interviewing members of my class. I am going to be interviewed this week. All of my teachers keep referring to the boys "right to an education" and when I ask if he will be returning they do not answer, they just keep saying he has rights. I have been very emotionally affected by the sexual harasment and have been having nightmares and states of extreme aniexty. My teacher has said to me that I was disrupting the class by being upset because one lesson I was crying, she said I was wrong to be upset and childish and should realise not to bring my problems into the classroom. Am I right to feel extremely dissapointed in the staff working as part of my course? If the senior management felt it was the right thing to suspend the boy instantly, why did the staff I informed more than 6 times about what was happening feel it was appropriate to speak to him briefly and then allow him straight back into the classroom where he went on to threaten my friend. I feel they should be fired for their lack of protective and professional approach when dealing with this matter, frankly they couldn't care less. I need to present questions for my interview this week to ask the teachers why this was handled so badly..does anyone have any suggestions to the kind of questions I should ask and the actions I can take in making sure the boy does not return and that the teachers involved are punished, if not fired, for breaking the law and not doing their job ?

Thank you so much in advance, I'm sorry its very long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 9th 2010, 06:01 PM

Hey There & Welcome to TeenHelp.

I'm very very sorry to hear of your past and what is now happening as you are starting to move forward.

I can confirm that this
Quote:
He has threatened to rape us, shown us several explicit photos of himself and other girls on his mobile phone, photos of anal and oral sex and also of him having sex with a girl surronded by his friends taking photographs of them...he has touched my friend inappropriately
is extremely wrong and something should definitely be done about it.

I'm also appalled at this
Quote:
I told my head of course tutor 3 times about this and he failed to do anything. I also told my Teamwork teacher twice, she did nothing. I eventually spoke to my course tutor again after almost 4 months of this going on and he contacted our head of faculty. She made notes on what me and my friend told her was happening. Her decision to "appropriately" deal with the situation was to speak to this boy for around 10 minutes and then allow him back into the classroom, unpunished, no consequences, no investigations and no support offered to me and my friend.
I feel that you need to write all of these points down for your interview next week, and then pose questions from these points.

Questions like you have already stated in your post here such as;

- What are you - as senior management - going to do about the staff who did not take immediate action when I told them of my incident?

- I understand the boy involved has rights to an education but surly I have rights to protection, and I feel that it was protection I did not receive - what can I ask are you going to do that will ensure my and other students protection in the future?

Those sort of questions. Make sure you are polite and professional :]
I'm really sorry to hear what happened, and I hope this helps :]
Claire x

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 10th 2010, 01:25 AM

Hey there, and welcome to TeenHelp.

I am really sorry that this happened to you and your friend. Sexual harassment is no joke, and it does hurt. You have every right to be upset about it, and about the ways that it was handled.

If you feel like your teachers are being insensitive, maybe talk to the senior instructor? Tell them that you are just upset, and that you have a right to an education too.

When you pose your questions, I'd use the ones Claire has said, but would also change one of them, just a bit.

-I understand the boy involved has rights to an education but surly also have the rights not only to an education, but to be protected from this kind of behaviour in the class room?

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 11th 2010, 05:48 PM

Hi Again, Sorry If this post is a little late - but I literally only just learnt of this information...

I was speaking to my parents about an incident that occurred at a college near me, where a girl was bullying another girl. Things turned physical and it turns out the bully was told to leave the college.

It turns out that as soon as you reach 16 (this is in the UK) that any such offence is likely to get you suspended from college. Considering you have been threatened with sexual assault and rape - then I feel that it should be likely for the guy that has been threatening you to be suspended. Maybe you should do some research into the laws of where ever you are and see if this is possible?

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 11th 2010, 07:36 PM

Bottom line is that if your college keeps ignoring this, you should go to the police.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
honeycake Offline
If you need a friend, i'm here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: jodie

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 11th 2010, 11:37 PM

I know how you feel i went through exactly the same thing colleges act like nothing's wrong and life goes on, but i basically had my friends witness it then when i told my tutor they all turned against me saying i was lying only one friend stood by me so they weren't my friends at all, but it did stop eventually yeh i think you should go to the police if it carries on

Darlin' don't leave me out here in the cold
I'm begging you baby don't leave me out here on my own I'll die, If you don't hold me tight Tonight, I couldn't make it outside If I tried, So please let me in lover,
Be kind ♥
  Send a message via AIM to honeycake Send a message via Skype™ to honeycake 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: College ignoring sexual harassment - February 12th 2010, 02:51 AM

I recommend you bring a lawsuit against him for harassment, stalking, sexual harassment, sexual battery, and (possibly) assault. I can not say for sure, by law I am not allowed to, but I assume you could have a very good case against this man. Contact your attorney about it so you can recover the psychological and emotional damages.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Closed Thread