TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

I'm so afraid. - April 28th 2010, 07:36 PM

Okay, so I created a thread a few days ago about the abuse I've received over the years from my parents. I saw my therapist yesterday and I talked to her about it. If I can't convince my parents to get help, she... wants to call the social services. I am so distraught over this. She says they won't take me or my sister away, but I'm not afraid of that. I'm afraid of my parents' reaction. Calling in the social services will make them unbelievably mad.

From the time I was little, my mother always told me that you never betray your family. You never share your family's secrets. And I just did that yesterday. I know this probably sounds odd, but even though they hurt me, I feel a fierce loyalty towards my parents. I feel like I've done something horribly wrong. I've just revealed our secret. Logically, I know I've done the right thing but... I still feel so guilty.

I guess I'm just going to have to pray that I'm able to coax them into therapy. Otherwise, I'm doomed. I'm going to try tonight after dinner. Wish me luck.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: I'm so afraid. - April 28th 2010, 09:20 PM

Hey there hun. I think it was extremely brave of you to open up to your therapist and tell her what's going on. You should be really proud of yourself.

Just do your best to get them to get help and try therapy. If it doesn't work, things will be okay. Social services is just there to help. In the end you did what's right for you and that's what matters. You deserve a safe place to live and grow up in.

And it's okay to feel a loyalty towards your family. It's a completely normal feeling no matter how you have been treated by them. But you and your sister's safety is never worth keeping a secret like this. You did the right thing.

I hope things are okay for you right now. You're doing amazing - keep your chin up. I'm here if you ever need to talk.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ruki Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Name: Jodie

Re: I'm so afraid. - April 29th 2010, 02:39 AM

I think u are really brave and it was the right thing to do! I know i can't do that and i am in a situation similar to yours. You should be proud o yourself! Good luck!
  Send a message via MSN to ruki  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: I'm so afraid. - April 29th 2010, 09:44 PM

Sarafina, what you did - telling your therapist - is the best way forward. You know you can't keep living like this, so something has to be done! Social services will merely talk to your parents, and offer them help. It's nothing to be afraid of.

If your parents honestly took the time to listen to you like we all have done, then they would realise that it's tearing you up, and hurting you. They would see themselves what they are doing, but unfortunately they won't listen, they won't even take the time to look at what they re doing.

Even if social services do get involved, it's probably for the best. They can help you, and then, maybe your parents will see the seriousness of what they're doing to you.

Like I've said, I can totally relate, and you don't deserve this, you really don't. Wishing you the best of luck

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: I'm so afraid. - May 1st 2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks, Laura!

So far, so good. My parents have actually agreed to therapy. How long they'll stick with it, I'm not sure, but I'm on cloud nine right now. We might actually be able to work this through and develop some semblance of a family.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: I'm so afraid. - May 3rd 2010, 03:20 AM

That's great Sarafina! I'm glad your parents agreed to get help, and I'm so proud of you for talking to me and being honest with your therapist. Just hang in there and stay strong.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: I'm so afraid. - May 5th 2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
That's great Sarafina! I'm glad your parents agreed to get help, and I'm so proud of you for talking to me and being honest with your therapist. Just hang in there and stay strong.
Thank you so much! For about a week, my parents have actually been really good. I'm surprised. Guess all they needed was to be threatened with the social services!

Really, though, they've been doing pretty well.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: I'm so afraid. - May 8th 2010, 08:22 AM

That's really good to hear. I'm really proud of you, for telling someone about this.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline