TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OkamiLove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evelyn

Question Flashbacks...How do i stop them??? - May 2nd 2010, 10:17 PM

Im having so many flashbacks from my rape that was....2 months ago that school is a challenge and being in public is absolute torture I have no idea what to do. I know most of my triggers but sometimes they come from nowhere and i dont know how to control them. And the thing is its disrupting my life so bad. I'm trying so hard to forget what even happened to me but I cant! My friends and boyfriend have tried so hard to help me but its almost like nobody knows how to deal with it anymore And all of this has made me start...cutting again. Can somebody help me out? idk what to do about the flashbacks or how to gain control of them. I'm not seeing a therapist yet because I'm trying not to have to deal with it but sometimes i need to talk. Please help me!
  Send a message via Yahoo to OkamiLove  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: Flashbacks...How do i stop them??? - May 3rd 2010, 03:30 AM

Hey there...

First off I want to reassure you that you are not alone. I had/have flashbacks from my experience and they are really not fun. Some ways I got around them was to identify and avoid my triggers which it sounds like you are doing. I have always tried to ground myself in the current reality. Focusing on a point, a sensation, something. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. What really helps too is getting professional therapy. They can not only tell you better how to deal with them, but they can also help make them decrease in frequency and HOPEFULLY go away entirely.

Hope this helped. PM me anytime.

Katie
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Flashbacks...How do i stop them??? - May 3rd 2010, 03:49 AM

Hey Evelyn,

Flashbacks can be impossible to handle sometimes, but they can be managed. You could try grounding yourself, which is basically making yourself aware of your surroundings and that it's not happening again. I don't explain it well, but there's more information here. Also, there's a great thread on Flashbacks here. As for self harm, and for things to distract you from the flash backs, there's the alternative thread.

You are going to have to deal with it some time. You can't just keep it inside, it will hurt so much worse when you finally let it out.Talk to someone, talk to a counselor. Talking will also help with the flashbacks, because the more you talk, the less power it has over you.

Just hang in there.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread