TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hope. Offline
a LOVER and a FIGHTER
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Camille

Exclamation Help please!! - July 22nd 2010, 05:33 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

im terrified to lie down in my own bed to go to sleep because every time i do i get terrible flashbacks to the point where im sweating shaking and cant move...help please i cant take it anymore...how do i get rid of these??

Stay Strong Even If I'm Not

Send a message via AIM to Hope.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Help please!! - July 22nd 2010, 08:26 PM

hey, i dunno how to stop them coming, but i suffer from them as well. a trick that works for me is grounding myself. it means to focus your mind on the things around u at that moment. such as where you are, what ur wearing, what time it is, etc. It makes u realise that ur safe and not in the situation you are remembering. tends to bring me out of the flashback if I really concentrate..hope it helps xxx

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
theatre=life Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Hillary

Re: Help please!! - July 22nd 2010, 10:40 PM

I dont know of a way sorry. when ever i get a flashback i try to find something to take my mind off of it like listening to music or talking to friends. It helps to have people to talk to. also have you tried therapy?

If you ever wanna talk you can pm me
  Send a message via AIM to theatre=life Send a message via MSN to theatre=life Send a message via Yahoo to theatre=life  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
sirjan xerdaj Offline
Pinkly Smooth .
Average Joe

Name: Xerdaj Sirjan

Re: Help please!! - July 23rd 2010, 09:37 AM

I'm told that rearranging your bedroom helps.

[X E R D A J] ~Sessyrocks~
-=i wanna be your knight=-
  Send a message via AIM to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via MSN to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Yahoo to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Skype™ to sirjan xerdaj 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: Help please!! - July 24th 2010, 11:52 AM

Seeing a doctor might be able to help you - a pyschiatrist. They are specially trained to help people who suffer from flashbacks.

If you don't mind me aasking, are these flashbacks of a traumatic experience you have been through? If so, by seeing a doctor, they can talk through with you what happened and can teach you ways to deal with them.

Flash backs won't always be permanent thing, but a memory can last forever. It's something to do with your unconcious mind - you've obviously tried to block out what happened and now it's coming back as flashbacks - something completely normal. Do try talking to someone.

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#6 (permalink)) Old
chelsealyn3994 Offline
Hakuna Matata (:
Not a n00b

Name: Chelsea

Re: Help please!! - July 25th 2010, 11:35 PM

Hey Camille,
I'm sorry that you have to deal with these. But as with a poster above, grounding works so well for me. I focus on smells, feeling, noises, anything. It's a difficult thing to work past, and even in therapy you're going to have them. However, they get better over time. There's nothing you can do to prevent them, but you can use a number of methods to help ease them.
1) Rearranging your bedroom might help. It won't remind you of where things were.
2) Getting a new mattress. Which yes, might be a tad expensive, but it's the best thing I feel worked for me. If you can't afford one, try flipping the mattress over.
3) I highly recommend getting therapy or counseling. It's the only way you will find out what works for you. Dealing with it on your own will be difficult and could break you down.

I hope you find out a way to help yourself. Take care, and PM me anytime.

Never regret anything because at one time, it's exactly what you wanted. PM me. (:

Part of the Big Brother Big Sister program since 7/14/2010.
Be a friend. Be a mentor. Just be there.
  Send a message via AIM to chelsealyn3994  
Closed Thread