TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nerth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

abuse and flashbacks - September 7th 2010, 05:47 PM

i have recently started getting severe flashbacks, its never really happened before and when it happend i completely lose sight of where i am.

i feel very weak and i think and i know i should jsut get over it, plenty of bad things happen so why am i letting it control my life.

i was just wondering if anyone else has or is having similar problems and whether they can give me any advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kara396 Offline
Kara396
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

Re: abuse and flashbacks - September 7th 2010, 07:42 PM

Flashbacks are normal and if you've been a victim of abuse or rape then your mind might just be letting you remember these things again. You need to talk to someone you trust and come to terms with what happened. It may not be easy and it could take awhile. I hate to say it, but you never fully recover. But you can be happy. Stay strong. PM me if you would like to talk.

"Will he love you like I loved you? Will he tell you everyday? Will he make you feel invincible with every word he'll say?" <3

"Love" is an abused word. Don't continue to abuse it.

Things get better. Maybe not soon. But they will.

I love you. I say this because even if you're a stranger, you deserved to be loved.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: abuse and flashbacks - September 9th 2010, 02:23 AM

Hey there,

Flashbacks are normal and a lot of people who suffer from some type of traumatic event can experience them. I know that there is a part of you that wants to move on from everything that has happened but it doesn't work like that. Healing from trauma is something that takes time and effort. I know it can be really frustrating but give yourself time to heal and you will see a difference.

I get flashbacks off and on too. There are days when the flashbacks are really bad and then there are days when they are not. My therapist tells me that the reason my flashbacks are bad is because I am in a stage of recognition. What she means is I have remembered the abuse and now I am start to recognize it and experience the effects of it. She has told me on numerous occasion that as time goes by and I start to heal the flashbacks will not be as extreme. My therapist has even told me that eventually I might not have flashbacks and if I do they will be really rare and will not effect me the way they do now.

I was told about the grounding kit and I am going to give you a link for it. I know that when I am struggling with flashbacks I turn to this and it helps.

Here is the link:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f80-mental-health/t3497-dissociation-you-making-grounding-kit/

Also, when I know a flashback is coming on I don't fight it. I just let myself experience it. I find that when I try to prevent the flashbacks it ends up being worse. However when I let it come, while still intense, it has less pull.

I also journal about the flashbacks I have. It can be REALLY hard to do but it helps because it is like I am letting it go. When I journal about the flashback it really does give me a sense of release. It doesn't make the intensity go away but it does feel good in a way.

Another thing is after a flashback you might go through a stage of depression but don't let that get you down too much because the depression will pass. Whenever I have a flashback I usually fall into a depressive stage. At times this stage is so intense I don't know what to do but I keep reminding myself that it will improve and it eventually does. You can get through it. Remember the worst is behind you and that person cannot hurt you again.

Lastly, are you talking to a professional about all of this? I know that is a hard thing to do but it can really help with the healing process. I know that my therapist has helped me with the healing numerous times. I can go in there and feel safe and she allows me to talk about the abuse without feeling any type of shame. She has a lot of compassion for me and she truely does care which helps. If you are not getting help for this I would suggest that you consider doing so because it really could help.

I hope this helped and if you need ANYTHING feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread