TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jenny. Offline
~Computer Hugger~
Not a n00b

Name: Jenny

Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - September 27th 2010, 12:57 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

If you've been raped you know the following feeling (well most people experience this),

You shake, your stomach hurts, you want to cry but you can't, every time you blink all you see is your attacker again and again. And your heart races even more than it usually does. This is a flashback.

Flashbacks are triggered. Usually by something that reminds you of what happened. In my case, I was raped at 8 years old. It makes things pretty difficult. Does anyone know how to control them, even just a tad? I can't talk about things that normal teenagers talk about without having a class A meltdown. I can't sit though a biology lecture on reproduction, I can't talk about sex in general, I can't even go to parties without leaving in tears. I'd like some control over this. Anyone know how? I'm willing to try anything. Thanks

Last edited by Emily.; October 20th 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: prefix guidelines
  Send a message via MSN to Jenny.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - September 27th 2010, 02:25 AM

Jenny,

I don't know the best way to respond to this but I wanted to post something so you knew I was here and that you are cared for. I would suggest that you look into talking to someone about your abuse. The main way to over come the flashbacks is by healing and the main way to heal is by talking. When you feel a flashback coming on it might help you remind yourself that you are safe. It sometimes helps me to just repeat in my head or out loud "You are safe. You survived the worst and now no one is going to hurt you. He cannot hurt you anymore."

I know this probably isn't the most helpful but it is the best I could do. If you ever want to chat please feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
heart_of_yang Offline
dreamer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ai

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - September 27th 2010, 12:58 PM

the best thing you can probally do is find a counsler or even a friend you trust and talk about this and how you fell inside so you can better deal with this. i know when i was molested it took me years to heal i still am healing but you have to take it a day at a time time some days will better than others and remember do not let this creep own your life.

lifes full of reasons
with out any
reason that
you have to
find.
  Send a message via AIM to heart_of_yang Send a message via MSN to heart_of_yang Send a message via Yahoo to heart_of_yang  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rtn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - October 7th 2010, 08:58 AM

Go to a psychologist, they will probably have you do a thing called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in which they will teach you relaxation techniques coupled with thoughts in order for you to desensitize those feelings, as well as talk in depth about your issues and worries, they are a big help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
James Bluntus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - October 7th 2010, 09:35 AM

I have never experienced this. However, I think the best thing for you to do would be to talk about the problems that you have. I just posted a thread in relationships about a girlfriend I broke up with yesterday. She has a lot of problems. But she will only talk about them to 1 person. A person who has hurt her time and time again.

This is one of the reasons she has these problems. She won't talk about them. I just hope now that we have been together that she will open up to me.

Also, talk about your feelings to the people and friends that you really trust. I hope this helps.

If you ever need to talk. Just PM me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Name: Sinead

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - October 7th 2010, 10:50 AM

Pick a really happy memery, a nice thought, a person u love. Hold whatever image u pick in your head. When you feel yourself slipping, when you start to shake then u concentrate on this image. Realy really focus on it...go back to whatever memery that made you realy happy.

If you can do this then sometimes you can avoid having a flashback. I dont no if this will work for you but it does alot of the time for me. But I do think you need to talk to someone to deal with what happened to you.

I really hope you find a way to control this
If you ever want to talk feel free to pm me....
*hugs*

But so many people are looking to me
to be strong and to fight

but i'm just surviving
and I may be weak but I'm never defeated

and I'll keep believing
in clouds with that sweet silver lining

(#7 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Trigger... Trigger... Trigger - October 7th 2010, 07:38 PM

I know how you feel Jenny. I was almost the same age. So young. So young. From time to time, I still have flashbacks and countless cries I have cried without any tears. I have a therapist. It helps me. Maybe it could you too. And I love to write. So that helps me alot too. Please know though. If you see a counselor or therapist. It is not always a match. It wasnt for me. You can try another one. You have to be completely comfortable with the person in order to fully open up. Good luck. My heart goes out to you!

Closed Thread