TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Exclamation Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 01:57 AM

Ok, so I am a teenager who (I think) is being abused. From the time I was little , my parents never seemed to know what to do with me. I believe I had to teach myself how to read and speak English, as English is not my first language and my 1st kindergarten teacher was not very supportive or understanding. I also remember that I got yelled at a lot even when I was small and especially after my brother was born. As I grew older, it seemed to get worse, especially physically. I was punched, slapped, pinched, kicked, and sometimes hit with a pot or pan. When I got into my preteen years, it escalated so high. I was called horrible names everyday (like dog, worthless etc...). Also, I was once threatened with a knife and several times both my parents threatened to throw me out. My mother is the worse of the two, since she also hurts me with emotional and verbal abuse. For example, she's yanked a lot of my hair out and thrown me down the stairs a couple of times. Both won't let me do anything. I am not allowed to text, play sports, buy anything with their permission, lock my door, take anything to school without them checking it etc... People think I have allergies in the mornings even though I've been crying instead. My mom makes me cry all the time and I wish I was dead. It hasn't affected my academic life, but socially, I've been bullied in almost every grade and have had only one real friend. I have switched schools 8 times now, so there's no time for me to bond. Is this abuse? Please, I really need to know. Thank You!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 03:37 AM

Hey there,

This does sound like abuse to me. Parents should not be physically or emotionally hurting you.

Have you ever talked to someone about this? I really think it might be a good idea.

If you feel comfortable and you think they would be reasonable about it, maybe try talking to your parents. Let them know how their actions and words make you feel. If you think that would make the situation worse though, don't. You can talk to someone else - another adult you trust, a teacher, your school counselor, a religious leader, the police. You definitely do not deserve to be treated this way and there are a lot of people out there who are willing and would want to help you.

I hope you're doing okay right now and I'm here if you ever want to talk.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Amanda-Marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 04:12 AM

hey *hugs* i understand where ur coming from i have the same deal haha just be happy it doesnt effect your school atleast because u can just keep working and move out soon enough If you ever need to vent or get advice from someone for anything like this come talk to me cuz i know how it is and yes some of that is abuse and btw that is not long you should see some of the things people on here write...its like megaparagraphs :P anyways if you are really fed up with all that you should tell an adult you trust and u can get out of there although i know that can be hard being away from all ur family too even if things are that way...anyways i might be able to help you more if you talk to me maybe in chat or send me a pm or i guess just respond in here w.e :P anyways good luck kiddo <3 i g2g so ttyl

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 04:38 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words. I have had a REALLY bad history with telling any adult and I don't know anyone else...and the thing is i'm only in junior high and I'm too young to get a job. I have nowhere to go. But anyways...
*hugs all around*
Thanks so much!!!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PoeticZoe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Zoe Alexi

Smile Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 07:29 AM

Need someone to talk to or a laugh? I always have a couple 1000 to spare.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 09:51 AM

Hey -

It's not right for your parents to treat you like this, okay? There is no excuse for physically harming a child - and while emotional and verbal abuse may not leave physical scars, both are just as harmful and unacceptable as any other form of abuse. You deserve so, so much better, and you should not have to be living in this environment. You're just a kid - kids should be taken care of by their parents, and loved.. not torn down and abused.

You said you've had bad luck talking to adults in the past.. I totally understand that. I've had tons of bad luck with that, too. It makes it really difficult to open up to people, doesn't it? Once your trust has been broken, or once you've been put into a bad situation because you've told someone something big like this, it's hard to trust again. It's not easy to put your trust in someone new when all you've had are bad experiences.

But - you can't let a few bad experiences with talking to people keep, keep you silent. Seriously you deserve to be treated way better and it's not fair at all that you have to go through this at home. Abuse affects victims in so many ways - academically, socially, emotionally.. you mentioned you haven't been affected academically yet, but just because you're doing okay with school now, doesn't mean you'll do okay in the future. It may get to a point where school becomes too much to deal with on top of the abuse, or you can't focus on your schoolwork because of how bad things are at home.. the point I'm trying to make is that, just because something isn't affecting one part of your life right now, doesn't mean it won't affect you in the future.

Like Emily said, there are people who want to help you. People who can get you out of this environment and somewhere safe. Let them help, okay? Take pictures of any physical marks your parents leave, maybe make recordings of when they yell (if you have a music player that records, or a small recording device you can leave in your pocket when your mom is being verbally abusive).. find ways to document it, just in case. And take that documentation to someone who can help you - like someone at school, or the police.

You're super strong for making it this far, okay? Remember that you don't deserve to be treated this way, and it's not okay for your parents to act like this. Absolutely not okay. I'm around if you ever want to talk - take good care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Please Read!!! (sorry its so long) - October 27th 2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone!

Closed Thread