TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Teen's Rape Charges Dropped Because Victim Kills Self - November 18th 2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
To be fair the only evidence which could conclusively demonstrate that sexual intercourse took place would be medical evidence, which would only be raised at trial and not distributed to the media. It seems fair to say that such evidence or similar did exist, as I would be very surprised if the DA took the decision to prosecute based solely on the victim's testimony.
That's a fair assumption, but since we don't know the full details...the public can't assume that the 18 year old had sex with the 14 year old. If it clearly said that, yes, the 18 year old had sexual encounters with the 14 year old, then that would be considered statutory rape. However, the articles don't mention it. Therefore there is still a possibility that she wasn't raped.

Quote:
Leaving that aside, several reports have claimed that the defendant did admit they had sex, but that it was consensual.
Sources?

Quote:
As a further aside to this story, it appears further allegations of sexual misconduct have been made against the young man in question, and that he has now left the high school: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...vestigate.html
Isn't that oddly suspicious that another girl comes out and says something after the trial? Something doesn't seem right to me...
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 517856 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Teen's Rape Charges Dropped Because Victim Kills Self - November 18th 2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

That's a fair assumption, but since we don't know the full details...the public can't assume that the 18 year old had sex with the 14 year old. If it clearly said that, yes, the 18 year old had sexual encounters with the 14 year old, then that would be considered statutory rape. However, the articles don't mention it. Therefore there is still a possibility that she wasn't raped.

Sources?
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11...ase.dismissed/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Tarnopolski, who faced the specific charge of criminal sexual conduct of the third degree, acknowledged having sex with Kelly but disputed claims that it was not consensual. "It was a mutual thing and I have text messages proving that," Tarnopolski told WDIV. "It's her parents that pushed it as hard they did," he said. "They said I threw her down and all that stuff. It never happened."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...198ca524cabb55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Associated Press
Tarnopolski told WJBK that he had sex with Samantha, but it was a "mutual thing."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...-Township-teen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit News
Police say evidence in Samantha's case, including text messages and statements from both the girl and Tarnopolski, pointed to a consensual sexual encounter.

Believe me, I am not one to make such statements unless I've got bloody good grounds for doing so - especially in an area like this. My final year dissertation was on criminal justice in relation to sexual offences so I'm more than aware of both the sensitivity of the matter and the potential damage caused by unverified claims.

Re. the second complaint, my understanding is that it was filed four days after the initial complain, not after the trial as has been suggested. The news story broke the same day according to the articles I have found. The detail on the matter is quite vague however so I cannot cite that as gospel.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#43 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Teen's Rape Charges Dropped Because Victim Kills Self - November 19th 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Believe me, I am not one to make such statements unless I've got bloody good grounds for doing so - especially in an area like this. My final year dissertation was on criminal justice in relation to sexual offences so I'm more than aware of both the sensitivity of the matter and the potential damage caused by unverified claims.

Fair enough. In that case, if the guy admitted to having consensual sex with the 14 year old, then I would agree that it's still statutory rape according to the law. Maybe this is just on Law and Order, but don't people admit guilt even when they're not?
Closed Thread