TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Can't figure this out.. - December 5th 2011, 04:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't know what happened to me. I don't know what is true and what is something my traumatized mind is thinking up.

I grew up with my grandparnets and parents in the same home...my grandpa was always abusive, verbally, and threatened us physically.
I told my therapist he molested me.
Nobody else knows.
I have no idea if that's the truth.

When I told her, it felt true...it felt so true. I was having dreams about it and having legitimate fears and crying and being scared...but when I really think about an "event", I can't remember a single one clearly.
I feel in my mind that it happened
but I think in my head that it didn't.
It's a pretty big thing to say to somebody, and nobody has ever heard of this before a few weeks ago when I told my therapist.

What is wrong with me? Why can't I remember, and why am I questioning this disclosure? My mind feels all jumbled up and I feel panicked because I am usually so self aware that it's scary. I have no idea what happened to me. People say my mind may be trying to protect me, but I really don't think it is. Am I just a big liar trying to get attention, or is something seriously wrong with me?

I can't figure this out..somebody please help me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Akito Offline
Skeleton in a Citadel
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy, Akito, Aki.

Re: Can't figure this out.. - December 5th 2011, 09:01 PM

Hey there Jennifer,

I don't think something has to be wrong with you in order to have trouble with memories and question them. I often question my own memories; I think, maybe it's something I just wanted or believed to be a memory, something I wanted or believed to be the reality, that it became the reality to me. In this case, it doesn't seem like your mind is trying to protect you but that your mind is simply doubtful of actualities. I don't think you are a "big liar trying to get attention", either. You're scared and panicked, so naturally, you've turned to others for help.

I think you should let your therapist know that you are not certain whether or not what you said about the abuse actually occurred. It is important that she know all of the facts about this and about you so that she can help you uncover the truth of the matter to the best of her ability.

I hope this helps. PM me if you'd like to chat; I'm always up for it. : )

"Who, being loved, is poor?"
- Oscar Wilde
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
"When all you've got is nothing,
there's a lot to go around."
- - - - - - -
"Though hope is frail,
it's hard to kill."
- - - - - - -
HelpLINK Mentor since 1/12/12.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread