TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Unhappy Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 6th 2011, 10:47 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Uhm, well i dont really know how to start. I was assaulted when i was 14, by my boyfriend at the time (he was 18). It happened about 8 times, but ive tried blocking it out so much to the point where i cant really remember much, which in a way could be a good thing. I didnt have sex with him, just forced to do oral stuff, and looking back, i was so NAIVE to think someone who was four years older would have actually been interested in me for just me, not my body. He tried to have sex with me, a number of times, but couldnt 'get it in' (graphic i know, sorry!)

I know it must sound silly, but it still affects me. Hes now engaged with a small baby, and although ive been in a relationship for nearly three years now (he knows about all of it and is amazing) i still get flashbacks and just think, why was i so stupid?! I sort of feel like i shouldnt even be thinking about it, but its now just coming up to the 3 year 'anniversary' of when it first started happening, and if anyone can help, how can i just move on?

Sorry about the essay! X

Last edited by strong.but.broken; December 6th 2011 at 11:05 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 7th 2011, 03:17 AM

The only way to move on is to deal with what happened. Trying to "forget" it won't work.

Have you talked to anyone about what happened? I was never sexually assaulted, but I was abused in other ways and had terrible times with flashbacks for years after. Still sometimes now, however I find that when I talk with someone I trust about it it makes me feel better, especially when they are encouraging and reassure me that x won't happen or x isn't true, etc. Bottling it up and ignoring it makes me feel worse and sends me into depression.

You cannot blame yourself for what happened. It was not, by any means, your fault. You were young, all young people are naive. That does not make you stupid. This was entirely his fault.

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Re: Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 7th 2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompris View Post
The only way to move on is to deal with what happened. Trying to "forget" it won't work.

Have you talked to anyone about what happened? I was never sexually assaulted, but I was abused in other ways and had terrible times with flashbacks for years after. Still sometimes now, however I find that when I talk with someone I trust about it it makes me feel better, especially when they are encouraging and reassure me that x won't happen or x isn't true, etc. Bottling it up and ignoring it makes me feel worse and sends me into depression.

You cannot blame yourself for what happened. It was not, by any means, your fault. You were young, all young people are naive. That does not make you stupid. This was entirely his fault.
Only my best friend and my boyfriend know what happened, and they have both been a massive support. I think i just dont like bringing it up, because it brings back the bad memories of feeling dirty and disgusting all the time.. And i know you say not to blame myself, but i cant see how not to? If i hadnt been so stupid in the first place, none of it would have happened? I cant help but think like that. X

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 7th 2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strong.but.broken View Post
Only my best friend and my boyfriend know what happened, and they have both been a massive support. I think i just dont like bringing it up, because it brings back the bad memories of feeling dirty and disgusting all the time.. And i know you say not to blame myself, but i cant see how not to? If i hadnt been so stupid in the first place, none of it would have happened? I cant help but think like that. X
I know it brings back all the memories, but talking through them helps to deal with them and cope with them. If you confront them, they'll go away, but if you just ignore them they will always be there.

Something like that would have happened to even the smartest person in the world. You being smart or stupid had nothing to do with it. He took advantage of you, and that was entirely his fault.

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kbug13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 19th 2011, 12:40 AM

This was not your fault at all! People like that make you think they love you and wouln't hurt you, but they end up hurting you anyway! I was raped and severally abused by my dad to I get flash backs all the time what helps me snap out of it is twirling my ring or pulling my necklace ,feeling something real to bring me back it usally helps! Your not stupid you thought somebody loved you and cared he had a role in your life and was supposed to protect you and love you and be someone for you to trust! I'm so sorry this happened, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hmcartier15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bad memories just wont go away.. - December 23rd 2011, 01:31 AM

I feel the same way I was first abused when I was really young and it went in for a long time. I tried different types of self injury but that only makes these thoughts go away for a short amount of time. The only way I found that helps is to talk about it. I kept things bottled up for too lOng and I am glad im starting to say something now.

Closed Thread