TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lilje

I don't know... - January 1st 2012, 02:59 AM

Hi, I'm new, and I've been wondering...

My mom just got married, and at first, I liked the guy pretty well, but since the beginning of Advent, I'm not so sure...

I'm Catholic, like my dad was, and a got a confirmation even though my mom didn't want me to because she's atheist, but I believe in god. I'm interviewing for boarding schools right now because the one I'm at is too easy, and one of them was affiliated with the Episcople church (I'm looking at American schools) and I was on a plane with my mom and stepdad, and she mentioned that it was too bad the school was affiliated because "we're atheist".

I told her that I am Catholic, in fact. And she kind of dismissed me disapprovingly, a "sure, sweety" type thing.

Ever since then, and especially since I go to church every day in advent, both of them talk about the church and the pope as the epitome of evil, using it, somewhat discreetly, in comparisons and such, so that passerby people won't see the relentlessness of the situation.

Recently, I have become more sensitive about the word Catholic whenever I hear it, and it took all I had not to cry in a GSA meeting recently, because of what was being said.

It's such a double standard, the Jews in my school (it's a Jewish school, so I use the word loosely to mean everyone) talk about the rights of Israel, even though it is soo corrupt, but cannot say one good thing about the state Lutheran church, or the Catholic church because we are some majority in their mind.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MercyMe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Devin

Re: I don't know... - January 2nd 2012, 06:05 AM

This is just one of the many trials you will face. Don't let anyone influence you, trust me when I say that the lord works in mysterious ways. My father was an atheist for 35 years and is now a strong Christian.

Don't let your classmates or parents influence your beliefs or anything you do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
viemexis Offline
Owl of the Waste
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Re: I don't know... - January 11th 2012, 11:21 AM

A lot of people have negative views of religion, especially Christianity, and even other Christians have negative views of Catholics. It's sad, really. Yes, it's an unfair standard. I'm sorry you have to deal with the two of them talking trash about your beliefs -- but that's just a part of life for Christians (I'm one too). I admire that you're going to church in spite of their comments. I think it's something God honors you for, regardless of the opinions of those around you. Try not to be too discouraged or upset by them.

By the way, I love talking about religion and culture, and I run a religion blog. So if you ever want to talk about this with someone who gets it, PM me.

Send a message via AIM to viemexis Send a message via MSN to viemexis Send a message via Yahoo to viemexis  
Closed Thread