TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingandSkying Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anne

How to tell parents about sexual assault? - January 7th 2012, 02:03 AM

Hi all,

I'm a sophomore at college and last spring I was sexually assaulted by a guy know. I saw a counselor at school about it till summer but I was still really struggling to hold myself together. I kind of gave up in my classes because I couldn't do my work and some days I couldn't get myself to class. I thought about it all the time, and when the thoughts got to be too much I would just go to sleep. It got to a point where I was sleeping ~12 hours a day. I lied to my parents about how I'd done that semester, because I couldn't handle telling them about what happened with the guy and I thought by the next fall I'd be back on track.

Things got a lot better for me over the summer, and for a month into the fall semester things were fine, but it turns out that the guy got a new girlfriend who was in one of my classes, and one day I ran into him when he was waiting for her afterwards. After that I would get so nervous about seeing him that I would talk myself out of going, and I skipped it for the rest of the semester. I couldn't bring myself to talk to my professor about it so I failed it. Now I'm on academic probation.

I don't know what to do. I'm on break now and the stress and anxiety from knowing they'll find out sooner or later is becoming unbearable. I called my old counselor to make appointments for next semester, and I've made appointments with my advisors at school to figure out how to get my grades back up and what classes to retake. I know I can handle the work-this fall I did fine in all my other classes besides the one I never went to- but I don't know if my parents will understand. They're strict and overprotective, and I think they're going to freak out about the grades, not trust me to handle it, and make me move back home.

But I need them to trust me. I've felt helpless and terrible because of this for too long, and now that I've finally started taking charge of things and getting myself the help I need, I can't go back to that. But even taking the school problems out of the picture, I have no idea how to tell them what happened with the guy. They worry so much and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I don't want to hurt them, but I have to explain what's going on and I'm so so so worried it's going to make them really upset.

If any of you have any advice on how to tell my parents, please help me out. I don't have anyone else I can talk to about this right now.

Last edited by FlyingandSkying; January 7th 2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: conciseness!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: How to tell parents about sexual assault? - January 7th 2012, 07:28 AM

It will make them upset - but they wont be upset at you - they will be upset at the situation. Communication is #1 here - and eventually you need to tell them and I really think that this is the time. Tell them face to face - because believe it or not they will back you up and support you more than you can understand right now.

So the best thing to do is face to face - or if you would like to make a letter or type it and leave it on there table so they can read. Either way, make sure you put all the details into it and express all your feelings. They are your parents, and they love you and will eventually understand.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: How to tell parents about sexual assault? - January 7th 2012, 03:49 PM

Hey,

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. However, you did the right thing by going to see a counselor. Sometimes, something like this is hard to handle by yourself. You really should tell your parents. They're not going to be mad at you for it, or for keeping it from them. I'm sure they'll be understanding. If you can't actually tell them face-to-face, try writing them a letter. Explain what's happened, the effects of it, and that you ARE going to do your best to make the grades up. It's great that you're getting back on track and you want to change your life for the better and this is the next step so that your parents aren't out of the loop.

Take care,
Brittany

Closed Thread