TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 16th 2012, 10:27 AM

Well I've been contemplating taking action against my now ex-boyfriend because back during the end of September, early November, he sexually assaulted me at homecoming. To be specific he stuck his hand under my dress, without my permission, with the intention of fingering me but he couldn't get under my underwear so yeah...

See, here's the definition of Sexual Assault from the National Center for Victims of Crime:
Quote:
Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when someone touches any part of another person's body in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent.
But this is what the law where I live says is the definition of sexual assault:
Quote:
A person who subjects another person to sexual penetration, or who forces another person to make a sexual penetration on himself or herself or another, or on a beast, against the will of the victim or under conditions in which the perpetrator knows or should know that the victim is mentally or physically incapable of resisting or understanding the nature of his or her conduct, is guilty of sexual assault.
There was no penetration so by my state's law, he didn't do anything wrong and I can't get an order of protection or a restraining order. According to my state, he did nothing wrong so I can't do anything about what happened... To be honest, that scares me.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 16th 2012, 08:22 PM

Hey Cheye,

I know how frustrating it may be to have the law against your case. However, that doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. He has hurt you in a way no one should be and you're the one hurting emotionally from it. That's wrong. Perhaps you can ask the school, provided he's in the same school/grade, to keep an eye on him so he can't go near you? I'm not sure what else you can do other than stay away from him and people who are associated with him.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but just know, like I always tell you, that I'm here for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 17th 2012, 02:17 AM

We no longer go to the same school since shortly before our break up I transferred back to my old school for other academic reasons, as well as health issues. I haven't seen him since but he has texted me before, it was about something completely different and after I was done hearing his shit we mutually agreed to stop texting then he continued so I told him that I would not reply to the next text, and that we made a mutual agreement to end communication with each other, if he contacted me again after maybe one reply, I would report him for harassment, so then I only got one reply saying a bunch of shit and haven't heard from him since.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 17th 2012, 06:55 AM

Hey Chey,
I know it must be frustrating to feel like you don't have any backup from the law, but what he did was wrong. He ruined what would have been an amazing night for you.
Maybe you could try talking to a teacher at your school? They might be able to help you and point you in the right direction.

If you ever need to talk I'll be here.
Chin up xxxx

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 17th 2012, 06:12 PM

Fight the law, man. That's what I'd do. Get your state to change their definition to something better, like what Sexual Assault from the National Center for Victims of Crime says. Then again, I'm always fighting the law....

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 17th 2012, 08:49 PM

I agree with Marissa, fight the law if you have to.
He has to be held accountable for his actions just like anyone else that commits a crime, they break the law, they get consequences and you and others get justice, that's how the system has to work.
I think that the law in your state is very vague about the definition of sexual assault, maybe if you do end uptaking this to court, you will get something done due to the fact this law does not seem to cover much of the definition and that, whilest courts follow the laws, they do look in to cases on an individual basis and they will most likely respect the fact that he did sexually assault you, whether it is as written or not, it may be between the lines of the law, some laws are not very explanatory as to what things go with them.
The only way you will know is by speaking to someone that knows the laws of your state or contacting a court in your area to inquire about sexual assault laws.
I hope this helps and you can PM me if you ever need to.
Good luck getting this sorted out and dealt with.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 18th 2012, 07:55 PM

That's a great idea Marissa! I think I might just do it! It would still involve telling my parents it happened which, although I'm not too fond of the idea, I would. This is a very serious flaw in my state's law system and I could be a person to help bring that to their attention so no one has to feel like I did after finding out that it said by our law, I wasn't sexually assaulted when I was. Thank you so much Marissa!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 19th 2012, 02:12 PM

If you need any help or support, let me know. i'm not any expert, but I've stood up against "the man" quite a few times now. Never as far as the state law, but you know. There's a beginning for everything.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 22nd 2012, 07:22 AM

That's interesting, because my School Resource Officer (You know, that police officer from your local PD that is kinda like a guard at a high school?) held a mandatory Sexual Assault and Battery class for every freshman and he said that sexual assault is the unwanted and unwarranted touching or attempting to touch of a persons genitals and breasts for a woman.

So, with what he said, I'd ask your School Resource Officer (If your school has one) about it or talk to a lawyer.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 22nd 2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
That's interesting, because my School Resource Officer (You know, that police officer from your local PD that is kinda like a guard at a high school?) held a mandatory Sexual Assault and Battery class for every freshman and he said that sexual assault is the unwanted and unwarranted touching or attempting to touch of a persons genitals and breasts for a woman.

So, with what he said, I'd ask your School Resource Officer (If your school has one) about it or talk to a lawyer.
Nick are we following each other tonight

Any pops the ex cop says sexual assault and sexual battery are separate crimes. Sexual assault is the more serious and requires penetration. Sexual battery can be a felony or misdemeanor and only requires unlawful touching.

Here's a link too: http://www.shouselaw.com/sexual_battery.html

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn K.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 22nd 2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post

Nick are we following each other tonight

Anyway pops the ex cop says sexual assault and sexual battery are separate crimes. Sexual assault is the more serious and requires penetration. Sexual battery can be a felony or misdemeanor and only requires unlawful touching.

Here's a link too: http://www.shouselaw.com/sexual_battery.html

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn K.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
dreamer1234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andrea

Re: Law says he didn't do anything wrong - January 23rd 2012, 09:46 PM

Just because the law is not doing anything about doesn't mean it didn't happen. Trust me the cops did nothing about someone sexually assulting me because i had no evidence. The way i look at it, is yes somedays are harder than others, but you can also learn from this expierence. It will only make you a stronger person
  Send a message via AIM to dreamer1234 Send a message via MSN to dreamer1234 Send a message via Skype™ to dreamer1234 
Closed Thread