TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 23rd 2012, 04:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This is my first post in a while but necessity prompts me to return to teenhelp.

My girlfriend has had a long history of being abused by her father in every which way, culminating in him raping her at least once several months ago. To my knowledge, it has not happened since. We've talked to protective services and the school guidance councilors and the police except nothing has ever come of it.
From this abuse, she began having terrible nightmares, wake-up-at-night-sweating nightmares about it. She seldom tells me what they're actually about but they generally revolve around the abuse she had gone through. I was able to quell the nightmares by staying on the phone with her and helping her through the night and she was no longer afraid of going to bed and things seemed to be getting better.
Recently however, we've become sexually active - we haven't had intercourse yet, but most things your average couple does leading up to that. Since then her nightmares have come back, possibly stronger than they were months ago, and I'm at a loss of how to help her. I'm at least somewhat responsible; I had a feeling that if we were sexually active there would be a consequence like this but I don't know how to help her overcome her nightmares, sleep soundly at night, or be able to get past this in the future if she ever does want to have sex with anybody (Not myself necessarily, but a future lover/fiance/etc.).

Is there anything I can do, that we can do, or that she can do besides getting professional help that would help her through these horrible night terrors and flashbacks to that hell????

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 23rd 2012, 01:26 PM

Well to be honest, the best option would probably be for her to see a therapist so they can help her move past what's happened to her. It's not going to be easy, but I think with the help of a professional, it could be easier to work through. Just remember to be there for her when she needs to talk about things. You can try to just go slowly with her, but I still think your best bet is professional help seeing as a therapist will be able to help her unlock these memories she's holding in and find ways to move past them. I wish I could help more but really, I think a therapist is your best option.

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 23rd 2012, 03:36 PM

I agree, the only thing I could think of that would really help would be to speak with a therapist or counselor. Maybe if she found someone (possibly you?) that she felt comfortable enough to talk with about these things might help a bit. Sometimes just getting them out in the open can take a bit of weight off of a person's shoulders, but again I still think the best people for that would be therapists or counselors as they're trained for this sort of thing. It's called professional help for a reason.

Hopefully things work out and keep us updated.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 26th 2012, 12:20 AM

Im currently going through those night terrors and the only thing that helps me is medication

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 26th 2012, 02:08 AM

meds dont always help with nightmares. It could be ptsd shes going through the night mares. I have been through nightmares its not fun. Keep talking to the police and child protective services UNTILL THEY LISTEN DONTTT STOP UNTILL THEY GET HER AAWAY FROM HER ABUSSERES KEEP TALKING OT THEM UNTILL THEY LITEN DONT GIVE UP. bE THERE FOR YOUR FRIEND LET HER CALL YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WHEN SHE wakes up from the night mares. Just listen let her cry on your shoulder. Jus tbe there for her and she wont feel alone. Your a good friend.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lion Heart Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Caite

Re: Night Terrors from Parental Abuse - February 27th 2012, 06:33 AM

What? Why arnt the Child Protective Services doing anything?
It could be a good idea to find her a counsler, there are free ones avaliable.
Best of luck.

Closed Thread