TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 27th 2012, 09:33 PM

Curiosity question seriously has NOTHING to do with me.

Can you be raped and not know it?? Wondering what some people in psychology say about this.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a happy bunny
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dylan

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 27th 2012, 09:41 PM

I guess it's possible to be raped in your sleep and not realise. Or if the abuser drugs the person beforehand it is possible that the person would not be aware they had been raped.

Sometimes what happens when people do not know they have been raped, it is because they have repressed memories of the abuse in their subconscious, therefore not being consciously aware that the rape ever happened. Psychoanalysis, flashbacks, and other stimuli can trigger the repressed memory to come into the conscious mind, thus the person 'remembers' it. Though arguably they do know that they have been raped, the memories are there but the person is just not paying attention to them, of sorts.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 27th 2012, 09:50 PM

Although memories do have a tendency to pop up eventually, it is possible for someone to be raped and not know it. There are drugs called "date rape drugs" a couple of these are called liquid X, roofies, etc. A whole list and more information about date rape drugs can be found here. Along with date rape drugs, people can get raped at a very young age and have repressed memories. Therefore they won't remember or they remember much, much later, and most times when repressed memories come up, they're brought upon by triggers.

I hope this answered your question.

Take care,
~Brittany

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 27th 2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks it kinda did i was just curious. The reason I ask is because my really messed up therapist that I used to see that hur me very badly and gave up on me. I told her a true story about something that happened to me it was about this guy murding my animal and I got mild ptsd from it. Yeah I know what your thinking ptsd from a pets death dont make fun of me okay. its not like I asked to get ptsd or want it. But My ptsd is pretty much gone now thank god. So anways my therapist always asked were you raped by him and I was like no I was not and then all the time she would bring it up in therapy and say maybe you were raped. I KNEW I WAS NOT RAPPED BY HIM OR ANY ONE FOR THAT MATTER. Then it got me thinking mayeb I was but dont remember. I think I should just believe myself that I was NEVER raped that therapist is on crack.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 27th 2012, 11:24 PM

Hey again,

PTSD can occur from any traumatic event. There's nothing funny about any traumatic event that causes PTSD. Therefore, I wouldn't make fun of you for something like that nor at all. I'm very sorry that you went through having PTSD but I'm glad that it's nearly gone. I doubt your therapist would be able to tell you if you were raped or not. She probably was just thinking that there's an underlying cause of your PTSD or that you were hiding something from her, as plenty of people go through life hiding a "deep, dark secret." Although someone may be able to help you remember these memories by digging deep into your past, she's not going to be able to tell you for sure. If you do not remember the memories, after so much time of searching via therapy then I don't believe it happened. Of course, I could be wrong but it doesn't seem likely to me.

~Brittany

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 12:26 AM

Thanks. yeah same here it did NOT happen. She was jus tbeing stupid and her mess up self. It s like stop thinkin gyour right all the time if the patient said no then its a no.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 04:19 AM

I see that your question has already been answered but there can also be people who do not know the definition of rape and believe what happened to them was their fault. For example, if you felt pressured by your partner to have sex, and didn't say no, technically you were still sexually assaulted, although you did not know it at the time.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 04:38 AM

NO NO NO NO NO NOTHING LIKE THAT NEVER EVERR. I KNOW WHAT RAPE IS I REALLY DO.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 05:00 AM

Oh no, I was just clarifying, I wasn't accusing you of having that happen to you! I was just adding another way that could be rape, but somebody may not know it at the time. I wasn't accusing you of that happening, don't worry.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 07:33 AM

Alright , I understand
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Curiosity question seriously has nothing to do with me. - February 28th 2012, 04:40 PM

Seeing as you've gotten your question answered and you have no other questions, I'm going to go ahead and close this. Feel free to PM me if you'd like it reopened.

Closed Thread