TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Triggering (Abuse): Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t99187-authorities-jail-teen-rape-victim-ensure-she-will-attend-trial/)

FlyingTrue April 11th 2012 07:06 AM

Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial

WTF... this isn't right. This definitely isn't right.

http://kplr11.com/2012/04/06/rape-vi...suspect-trial/

Cather April 11th 2012 07:27 AM

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial

This is absolutely terrible, her rights are being completely violated, not to mention the psychological trauma she's probably experiencing right now.

If they were worried about her not showing up, why not put her on house arrest and give her an ankle monitor?

Tyr. April 11th 2012 08:47 AM

Her rights are secondary to the possibility of the perp walking free and raping more young girls. Gotta break eggs to make an omlette.

- Yogi

Veni Vidi Vici April 11th 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogi (Post 851571)
Her rights are secondary to the possibility of the perp walking free and raping more young girls. Gotta break eggs to make an omlette.

- Yogi

I fully agree with this but I think jail is too much. Why not house arrest, or maybe putting police guard 24 hours outside her house?:?

Music April 11th 2012 11:16 AM

Jail for people awaiting trial is much different than jail for those who've had trial and were deemed guilty (at least where I live). It's not as bad as you might think, and I think it's worth it to put a possibly dangerous offender behind bars. The good of many outweighs the good of one.
And as with all media articles, there's probably more than meets the eye here. For all we know this might be in part to protect her from the guy's friends until the trial is over.

Henry Tyrell April 11th 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogi (Post 851571)

- Yogi

I think it's going a bit far. Rape victims are already traumatised, not to mention the idea that to testify you have to see the rapist right there and recount the events. I doubt that holding a victim in a jail cell will help matters in the least.

Loving Linux Penguin April 11th 2012 02:03 PM

I agree. This is ridiculous! Putting the VICTIM (which I'm sure is already terribly traumatized) in jail just because she's a VICTIM makes no sense, and the article says she has the right to refuse to testify [which I'm rather sure is true]. I'd like to know what state law says rape victims can be jailed for being a rape victim to force them to testify in court. I want the criminal to be punished too, but not at the expense of further traumatizing and violating the rights of his victim.

Koharuchan April 11th 2012 03:27 PM

I agree that jailing was going too far. As the others have already said, house arrest would've been a smarter move here.

TigerTank77 April 11th 2012 03:49 PM

I was going to say it was a bit too far, but she's apparently skipped two court dates before.

If that was anyone else, they'd most definitely be in jail.

Guile April 12th 2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loving Linux Penguin (Post 851656)
I agree. This is ridiculous! Putting the VICTIM (which I'm sure is already terribly traumatized) in jail just because she's a VICTIM makes no sense, and the article says she has the right to refuse to testify [which I'm rather sure is true]. I'd like to know what state law says rape victims can be jailed for being a rape victim to force them to testify in court. I want the criminal to be punished too, but not at the expense of further traumatizing and violating the rights of his victim.

You can refuse to testify, but if you're legally presented a summons to attend court, you must go.

Ennui. April 12th 2012 02:48 AM

I agree that this is going way too far. I mean, she's required to appear in court even if she doesn't testify, so house arrest would be a better move. They're just traumatizing her even more.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! April 12th 2012 03:18 AM

I agree with jailing the rape victim in this case. First, she is required to attend court but has failed to do so more than once. Placing her under house arrest does not ensure she attends court, it simply ensures her location is known. Having officers keep guard of her wastes precious police time that could be better served elsewhere. Second, given the description of the rapist's tattoos, the article attempts to infer he is a group member and it is likely the police were weary the rape victim would suffer if not protected. Placing her in jail ensures she is monitored 24/7 and she likely would be housed away from other inmates. There is no doubt she was inconvenienced, however, the rights and protection of society trump the rights of one victim. Increasing the trauma the victim has gone through is an unfortunate by-product that may occur at the expense of protecting society.

NevermindMe April 13th 2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem (Post 851590)
I fully agree with this but I think jail is too much. Why not house arrest, or maybe putting police guard 24 hours outside her house?:?

Armed guard outside her house costs money, much more than keeping her in a cell.

I doubt she's being treated like the average criminal, however I'll admit this is a bit much.

- Justin