TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

Can Bipolar be passed down through genetics? - April 24th 2012, 01:23 PM

My grandmother and aunt on my mums side both have bipolar, my therapist has said that I also seem to have many of the symtoms that match it and he doesn't know why it hasn't been considered, but I told him about my past therapists also taking my parents side about me being over reactive, a liar, ect. and the one who the social appointed me for a mental health evaluation when I first went into care said it was just stress and anxiety that made my mood swings and emotions go haywire. The therapist never did answer my question when I asked if Bipolar can be passed through genetics, so I wanted to ask you guys to see if you lot know anything about it.

Also If they do diagnose me with Bipolar, how will medication help? I'm on medication for anxiety and depression and it makes me worse, it doesn't help me at all.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Charlie
I've been here a while

Name: Charlie

Re: Can Bipolar be passed down through genetics? - April 24th 2012, 01:34 PM

I don't know about weather it can be passed through to your family.

Medication works well for different people. Some get worst with it some get better. Its something you would need to talk through and try before you knew. When I got told I had Bi-Polar from my Doctor I didn't want my family knowing, I tried to blank it out so refused the medication. And through some ups and downs I have learnt to control it alot more than when it first become aware x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Can Bipolar be passed down through genetics? - April 24th 2012, 02:50 PM

Bipolar is thought to be a genetic illness so yes, it does get passed down through the family. For example, I have bipolar, my mom has bipolar, my uncle has bipolar, etc..
In terms of medication, it's supposed to help you control your moods, to make them more manageable so that living a normal life is a lot easier than it would be otherwise. Medication doesn't work for everyone, and sometimes you need to try a lot of different medications, combinations, and doses before you find the one that works best for you.
About your current medication, does your therapist or your prescribing doctor know that you feel it doesn't work and in fact makes you feel worse? Medication isn't intended to do that and when it does it usually means it's not working properly and needs to be changed.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

Re: Can Bipolar be passed down through genetics? - April 24th 2012, 03:12 PM

I told the doctor when we first went but he said it was side effects, but how can the medication work for anxiety if it makes me panic worse? It didn't help much with the depression either, but each time the doctor denied it so I don't bother anymore. I haven't told the recent therapist except before they prescribe any medication I want to know what it is and what it is for before they prescribe anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Can Bipolar be passed down through genetics? - April 24th 2012, 03:31 PM

Well if you might have bipolar disorder antidepressants could actually make you feel worse, I remember before I was properly diagnosed and on antidepressants for my depressed moods they always made me feel WAY worse than I did without them.
Doctors don't know how medication makes you feel, they know what's written in their book and what the side effects might be. You know how the medication makes you feel and you need to advocate for yourself, you can't let the doctors tell you what you're feeling.
If you feel that the negatives for your medication outweigh the positives and you've given it enough time to know that it's not just because you just recently started on a new dose or new medication then tell your doctor you want to try something else. Unfourtunately there are a lot of doctors out there who think medication is a mgic pill that fixes everything right away and that they don't need to do anything else beyond that, you need to let them know that the current treatment plan you're on isn't quite working for you and that you would like to change it a bit.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread